NI Labs Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI LabVIEW OPC UA APIs Discussion

We are working on this product, but I cannot tell when and how it will be released.

How does your customer want to use the NI UA product? Client or Server? Windows or RT?

Ryan Shi
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 31 of 150
(4,148 Views)

I have written an app in Labview that runs on the NI TPC2206 touch screen (windows xpe) which runs our stationary gas analyzer.  Our customer is using a Kepware OPC server to communicate with all the instruments at the plant (including our analyzer).  Therefore, in this instance I believe the TPC2206 would be referred to as a remote OPC server.  I have OPC-DA running successfully, but the customer really wants to move to OPC-UA.

0 Kudos
Message 32 of 150
(4,148 Views)

I have installed the OPC UA Client and server API on my 9022 cRIO.  Is there a way to interactively create an OPC Server (i.e. right click the target and choose "New/IO Server") ?

I installed EPICS Client and Server APIs and I can see both EPICS and Modbus IO server options but there is no OPC Server option.  It would be convenient to create a server in that manner.

Thanks,

Casey

Casey Lamers

Phoenix, LLC

casey.lamers@phoenixwi.com

CLA, LabVIEW Champion

Check Out the Software Engineering Processes, Architecture, and Design track at NIWeek. 2018 I guarantee you will learn things you can use daily! I will be presenting!

0 Kudos
Message 33 of 150
(4,148 Views)

We don't provide the OPC UA IO Server in this download. You need to use the Client or Server VIs to program the application and deploy to the target.

Ryan Shi
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 34 of 150
(4,148 Views)

Casey - there is an example that is included with the OPC UA API that shows how to setup these Client/Server VIs. They are used in the same programming paridgm as the rest of LabVIEW with a create, configure, read/write in loop and close VIs for both the server and client side.

I do appreciate the feedback though on your interest in an IO Server to abstract this process away from the user.

Regards,

Jonah

Jonah Paul
Marketing Manager, NI Software
0 Kudos
Message 35 of 150
(4,148 Views)

BLAQmx, any plans for a C or LabVIEW OPC UA API to run on Linux?

Kalin T.
0 Kudos
Message 36 of 150
(4,148 Views)

KalinT wrote:

BLAQmx, any plans for a C or LabVIEW OPC UA API to run on Linux?

Not for the initial release.

Mark
NI App Software R&D
0 Kudos
Message 37 of 150
(4,148 Views)

good thing,

I can confirm that it's working on Android (2.3.3) with prosys java

cosmin

0 Kudos
Message 38 of 150
(4,148 Views)

Hi,

i've download the API and tried to build an example with our own OPCUA server in our laser device.
I got a connection and i was abel to browse and read some data.
But there are a few questiuons left!

Normally in OPCUA you need a unique Node-ID to identifie a folder a variable or something else
What you use in your API you call it nodepath is a conjunction of "browse-names" of the nodes
in the address space of the server. These browse names are language dependend and my contain dots
and you use the dot to separate the hirachy of the nodes (that's what i see).

But there may exits many servers (and our server is one of those) which use dots in node names to
make it easier to read item names in browsing interface.

For example there may be an name displayed as
"Device.Production.Mulit-PLC.Slot No. 10.Input.Word 00"
The NodeId for this browse path is
"Activation.MPI-Slot10.Input.Word00"

I'm not able to read or write to this variable with your API because the node path above reports
NodeID not found and i'm not able to enter the nodeid anywhere els to read or write from a variable.

Please help.

0 Kudos
Message 39 of 150
(4,148 Views)

If a browse name contains a dot, you need to quote the whole browse name.

For example, if a browse name is a.b, the nodeId is "a.b".c

The document of this web download may not be good enough.

Ryan Shi
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 40 of 150
(4,148 Views)