Developer Center Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Avoiding 'vip hell' with VIPM packages

I agree that there is room for different solutions.

The community has been successful with backward-compatible API upgrades.  This discussion thread identifies downsides of this approach, from both API developer and API user perspectives.

I recently learned about yet another approach for version-specific yet backward-compatible behavior.  niWLANA Open Session VI (from the NI LabVIEW WLAN Analysis Toolkit) has a toolkit compatibility version input.  To paraphrase help file, if you have toolkit version 3.0.0, you can open a session with toolkit compatibility version set to 2.0.0, and the API will exhibit version 2.0.0 behavior.  This allows the user to upgrade and maintain prior functional behavior; new features from later releases are unavailable.  Note that in this model you can have both behaviors in parallel, in different sessions...

With regard to "standard" SxS installation, this discussion focused on library names, with some references to palettes.  I would expect "standard" SxS libraries to come with separate help files and separate installers.  If a library has custom errors, we would also need to address custom errors files. Can you think of any other deliverables associated with APIs?

Kosta
0 Kudos
Message 71 of 71
(529 Views)