USRP Software Radio

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how can I transmit a video using the USRP?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello everybody 

I'm new using the usrp and I would like to transmit a video from one usrp to another can someone give me an ideia or tell me if it is possible to do this.

Thanks 

Paulo Steven 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(10,686 Views)
Solution
Accepted by paulosteven

Hi Paulo,

Do you know which type of modulation scheme/standard you will be using to send your video?  If you are doing analog video will need about 6 MHz of bandwidth which the USRP can provide.  Most TV signals are broadcast around 400 MHz, which is also in the range of the NI-2920.

NI does not offer any toolkits that are designed for this application.  You would need to develop the algorithms for the modulation yourself.  But as far as the hardware is concerned, the USRP should be capable of outputting this type of signal.

Sarah Yost
Senior Product Marketing Manager
Message 2 of 13
(10,674 Views)

Hi Sarah Y

thank you for answer my question, I want develop OFDM modulation scheme with labview and i will try to do this if you have some ideia on how can I start please share with me.

Paulo Steven
university student

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(10,668 Views)

Hi Paulo,

Here is an example that uses the Modulation Toolkit to do OFDM in LabVIEW.  I know that there is a problem with one of the subVIs for this example, but it should be a good starting point for you.

RF Simulation Demo: OFDM

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/epd/p/id/5152

One of the subVIs will show up as broken (Mod_OFDM_bits_Generation_per_Frame.vi).  The problem is that this example was created using an older version of Modulation Toolkit.  In the older version the MT Generate Bits function was not a polymorphic VI like it is in the newer one.  To fix it, all you have to do is place down the MT Generate Bits (poly).vi from the Modulation Toolkit palette and wire it up.  The inputs are not exactly the same, but all of the necessary information should be there.  This is also just a way to simulate OFDM.  You will then also have to make some changes to add the USRP hardware into the code.  The USRP and Modulation Toolkit will function together so once you have LabVIEW generating your OFDM signal, sending it to the USRP should be simple.

Hope that helps and let me know if you have any more questions.

Sarah Yost
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(10,665 Views)

Hi Sara,

Thank you for your attention I will try to do that.

Paulo Steven

University student

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(10,658 Views)

Hi Sara,

I followed your instructions and I fixed the problem on that sub VI. the simulation now is working. for now I will try to put it together with the USRP blocks so that I can get my target.
Thank you very much

Paulo Steven

University student

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(10,652 Views)

Hi Paulo,

I'm glad you got it up and running.  If you get it working with the USRP, would you mind posting your code?  I would like to add it to the community examples and I know there are others out there who would love to see this application.

Sarah Yost
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(10,646 Views)

Hi Sara

When I reach the target I'm going to share it with you 

Thank you 

Paulo Steven 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(10,642 Views)

Hi, I'm a Polytechnic student in Singapore. Any idea how to make a transceiver using the USRP with the GNU Radio Companion (GRC)? I need it for my final year proj!! Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(10,223 Views)

Hello xibidon,

To use the USRP with GNU radio and the GNU Radio companion, you will need to reflash the FPGA and firmware with the Ettus provided files.  The NI firmware and FPGA image are only supported by LabVIEW (officially) and the NI-USRP driver.

If you are using the USRP with the UHD, please look at this post: http://forums.ni.com/t5/USRP-Software-Radio/TV-reception-on-USRP/m-p/1980701/highlight/true#M219

Anthony F.
Staff Software Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(10,211 Views)