LabVIEW for LEGO MINDSTORMS and LabVIEW for Education

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW for LEGO MINDSTORMS and EV3

Solved!
Go to solution

Can LabVIEW for LEGO MINDSTORMS be used to program the EV3?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(20,207 Views)

Hello,

Currently LabVIEW for LEGO MINDSTORMS and the NXT Module (bundled into LabVIEW for LEGO MINDSTORMS) can only be used with NXT bricks, and does not support EV3.

Danny Funk -- Senior Group Manager -- Software R&D -- NI
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(20,194 Views)

Will there be an update any time soon that will allow us to program the EV3 on LabVIEW?

Or is the Mindstorms EV3 software our only option? (in the somewhat near future)

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(20,191 Views)
Solution
Accepted by profpizza

There will be support for the EV3 with LabVIEW coming. Our plan is to be ready in the first half of 2014.

LEGO's MINDSTORMS EV3 development environment is the only software I know of that can be used to program the EV3 brick when it's made available for purchase.

Danny Funk -- Senior Group Manager -- Software R&D -- NI
Message 4 of 10
(20,186 Views)

Is there a mailing list I can get onto to be notified when EV3 support will be added into Labview?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(19,836 Views)

davelev74

You can sign up for the K12Lab mounthly newsletter, and you'll be notified once the LabVIEW EV3 module is complete in addition to tons of cool EV3, myDAQ, and LabVIEW project ideas. 

Cheers
Hunter Smith

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(19,808 Views)

There appears to be some inconsistency with regard to the release of LabVIEW for the LEGO Mindstorms EV3. The website at www.legoeducation.us/eng/misc/comparingEV3andNXT.cfm indicates at the bottom of its right-hand column that such support will be available in the fall of 2013 which I presume means around now. Do I presume that the other educational version, LabVIEW for Education, catering for more than just the LEGO NXT/EV3 and Tetrix will be released then also? The other question I have is whether these releases will have incorporated the VIs to allow use of not just the LEGO sensors but also those marketed by HiTechnic, Vernier (in conjunction with its adapter) and Dexter Industries - they suit science education best - and possibly MindSensors sensors and actuators also?

I ordered the EV3 Core and extension packs early and had mine delivered months back having also tried out a trial Core package earlier. As ordered (and the trial version) it had only the EV3 software and they only allow usage of the LEGO sensors and actuators, although HiTechnic can now provide downloads to incorporate for its sensors. Vernier's are in the course of being prepared, as also I gather are Dexter Industries and MindSensors. The EV3 advertised DCP/LogIT sensors I am dubious as to being developed at all. The EV3 software is very limited in what it allows too, as with the earlier NXT-G software, no XY graph plots so students could not plot the usual Ohm's Law test graphs of Voltage against Current, nor a Pressure against Temperature graph, amongst many other useful XY graphs. Only Y-Time graphs are allowed as far as I could tell. So the LabVIEW versions will be needed to do the sort of work needed in science education 11-18.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(19,002 Views)

LabVIEW Support for EV3 is now expected in the late in the first half of 2014. (April-ish) It looks like the LEGO Ed site is in error, I have sent them an email and it should be updated shortly. 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(18,953 Views)

Many thanks for update on release. It is a pity that there is such a delay to the LabVIEW for LEGO Mindstorms/for Education release, as indeed with the LEGO EV3 software incorporating 3rd party sensors and actuators that would make ithem useful in science education. To have such a launch as I saw at the UK BETT Show back in February and then effectively have nothing useful until the end of 2013 or even into April 2014 is not going to make science teachers look to the EV3. A pity as I saw/see LabVIEW as a very useful means of getting school students of 11+ (even a bit younger for simple applications) and their teachers programming in useful contexts developing VIs to display meters, plot graphs, make statistical analyses etc. to suit the experimental investigations they are undertaking with software that is so widely used in science and engineering around the world. They would benefit at school and industry and research would benefit from their experience afterwards. I hope it's not missed the spot!

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(18,938 Views)

I agree with the Yorky Bar Kid - though I was a Milky Bar Kid in my day - in that NI should consider supporting the EV3 asap. Budgets for 2014 are currently being written and it is difficult to justify EV3 purchases for April 2014 for our research project when NI development 'predicts' Spring 2014 for integration of LabView software with EV3 hardware. Currently we use LabView 2011 with NXT module to control of robots via an OpenSim virtual world.

See https://decibel.ni.com/content/groups/sweet-apps/blog/2012/03/15/controlling-robots-6000-miles-away-...

It makes sense to develop the project with EV3.

Thank you.

Michael

Dr. Michael Vallance
Future University, Japan.
Homepage http://www.mvallance.net
International Virtual Environments Research Group (iVERG) http://www.iverg.com
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(18,761 Views)