VeriStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open different Workspace files with VeriStand API

Solved!
Go to solution

Starting in NI VeriStand 2011 there is a back-door trick to allow you to substitute a VI of your choice for the standard Getting Started Window. I say trick, because it is not an official API and could change in future versions.

Check out the example attached below. It's a modified version of the first example I gave you. The difference is that the Workspace Automator VI has been refactored to serve as a VI that VeriStand can run in place of its own Getting Started Window. The requirements to do this are minimal:

1. The VI to run must have a string User Event reference control on it called NIVS.App.Command

2. Pass in the VI path as the first argument when launching NI VeriStand.exe.

3. (Optional) Normally your VI will be expected to close whenever a project is launched like the standard Getting Started Window. It will be sent the command GSW.Close on the user event when this happens. If you don't want your VI to shut down at this time, you must supply the KEEPGSWOPEN argument when launching VeriStand.

To help with this, I included a simple start-up application that finds NI VeriStand.exe and invokes it with the correct arguments.

To check this out, unzip the files and build both source distributions. Make sure the EXE is in the same folder as the LLB, then run it. VeriStand should not be running when you do this.

This has the advantage over just starting the Gateway by itself in that you have full access to the contents of VeriStand (Workspace, Project, Gateway, etc.).

Jarrod S.
National Instruments
Message 11 of 15
(3,336 Views)

Hi Jarrod,

great job! I hadn't had the time to try your example, but I looked through your code and I'm very intrigued. We wanted to give our customer the option to start a Labview exe file where he can choose which SysDef and Workspace he wants to load. Your example is already very close to our intention. Many thanks for your excellent support.

Kind regards,

Michael K.

Message 12 of 15
(3,321 Views)

Hello Jarrod,

can you check your Attachment pleas?

I can't download ist.

Thank you.

Stefan 

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 15
(3,279 Views)