LabVIEW Embedded

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Survey: LabVIEW Embedded experiences

If it was me, I'd use a Stellaris chip (does the Stellaris Launchpad have enough I/O?) and C. Cheaper, faster, better and in the long run, less time to program.

Message 51 of 59
(1,576 Views)

Dear Vitoi 

Ohh, so many dev.boards for Embedded in the World... 

I would like to choose one of them that would have cost less than $ 150 and would support LVEA and possibly it could be set XPe or Linux, and that the board had more PWM outputs

0 Kudos
Message 52 of 59
(1,551 Views)

good day,

I am new to Labview programming embedded systems and am using the TI Stellaris Luminary Micro LM3S8962 ARM, I can see that LabVIEW supports the latest versions for this device, but it will continue in the future and will include new development boards? I ask this because I see these microcontrollers become obsolete in a few years

0 Kudos
Message 53 of 59
(1,531 Views)

National Instruments has effectively abandoned LabVIEW Embedded for ARM. Try Texas Instruments Tiva Launchpad with Code Composer Studio and C. You'll be with a company that has their interests aligned with yours.

0 Kudos
Message 54 of 59
(1,495 Views)

We bought LVEA in 2010 and did a couple of projects with it.

After each project, we decided not to use it ever again 😛 and yet we kept on returning each time we had to develop a cheap fast solution requiring some processing power...

The first project took longer than expected because we still needed to learn the limits and possibilities of the toolkit.

with the second project, we had to redesign the hardware towards an sbRIO (9605) because the target lacked performance. I'm 100% certain that the target was capable of performing the task if it had been programmed in a C environment.

The sbRIO platform became our preferred target because of the enormous processing power and flexibility compared to an ARM.

Up to today, we are still using the LVEA toolkit for smaller projects that require some processing power, but do not justify the use of an overkill sbRIO. 

The low cost of a ARM still makes it a viable solution for low budget projects. NI needs to understand that it is not always possible to justify the extra cost of an sbRIO.

This is the reason i'm a bit dissapointed in NI, They never really gave the LVEA toolkit a chance. The main profit from NI comes from selling hardware, so in their eyes, the LVEA toolkit was a potential drain on other sales.

On many aspects, you feel that the toolkit is still in its infant stage. In our copy of the toolkit, there's even a missing ';' in one of the libraries, resulting in a compilation error.

The documentation, compared to other products from NI is severely lacking. Most of the information i need comes from searching this forum and digging through the C code itself.

In short:

Potentially a great product, but failed due to lack of support, documentation and effort from NI.

0 Kudos
Message 55 of 59
(1,365 Views)

What you say is very true, there is little information about this issue, existing hardware of nice features for medium-sized projects, I have installed LV2012 and I hope to continue using the products suggested by NI, on the other hand is the MyRIO have not yet priced to sell, hopefully our power, will have to wait

0 Kudos
Message 56 of 59
(1,357 Views)

Jorn_Deruyck wrote:

The first project took longer than expected because we still needed to learn the limits and possibilities of the toolkit.

with the second project, we had to redesign the hardware towards an sbRIO (9605) because the target lacked performance. I'm 100% certain that the target was capable of performing the task if it had been programmed in a C environment. 

I'm experienced in LabVIEW desktop, cRIO, LVEA and programming ARM micros in C. When LabVIEW Embedded for ARM did not give us the performance we needed, we moved to C and kept to the same micro. As you mentioned, the target is very capable once you switch to C. Also, if you run out of processing power, it is easy to add a second microcontroller, which is what we did. National Instruments does not have a good embedded solution, but it could if it chose to.

Jorn_Deruyck wrote:

Up to today, we are still using the LVEA toolkit for smaller projects that require some processing power, but do not justify the use of an overkill sbRIO. 

The low cost of a ARM still makes it a viable solution for low budget projects. NI needs to understand that it is not always possible to justify the extra cost of an sbRIO.

Yes, LVEA is good for very simple projects. Quick to get going. If you can get by with a single loop you can get good performance. I see LVEA as a quick way of developing an "8 bit" application on a 32 bit micro. NI do not want to increase LVEA's performance since they want to herd people into cRIO and sbRIO platforms. And some customers fall for this :-).

0 Kudos
Message 57 of 59
(1,345 Views)

SbRIO is similar to that MyRIO?, which is your choice,, au expect its release to the public

0 Kudos
Message 58 of 59
(1,341 Views)

sbRIOs have been around for about a year.  The all digital version sbRIO costs less than $1000.

0 Kudos
Message 59 of 59
(1,335 Views)