SignalExpress

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error with Agilent 33120A

Hi all,

I am trying to use an Agilent 33120A in order to generate signals using LabVIEW Signal Express 2010.  I downloaded the required IVI drivers from the NI website.  However, when I try to run a simple step in LabVIEW Signal Express, I get the following error:

ivi_IviFgen Initialize With Options.vi<ERR>
Primary Error: (Hex 0xBFFA000F) Invalid parameter.

I cannot figure out where this error is coming from.  I notice that when I configure the IVI session name in the Configuration window, the resource descriptor and instrument driver fields are blank when I choose my hp33120a driver.  Any ideas on what may be the problem?  I am a a new user to LabVIEW so please pardon any ignorance on my part.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

-Tony

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(7,383 Views)

Hi ingtony111,

Does your device show up in Measurement and Automation Explorer? Be sure that you can see it under the GPIB interface (scan for instruments) or if it is a Serial device that the correct COM port is selected.

Chris T.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(7,372 Views)

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply.  I checked in MAX and it is indeed recognizing my insturment (Agilent 33120A).  I still cannot figure out why it is not working.  THanks.

-Tony

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(7,339 Views)

Hi ingtony111,

Can you post a screenshot of your Step's configuration?

Thanks!

Chris T.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(7,321 Views)

Thanks Chris.  Here is a screenshot of the configuration per your request.  The first scren capture shows me creating a new IVI session for the 33120A.  THe second one shows the configuration step with the error.  As you can see the resource descriptor and instrument address fields appear empty even though I chose the proper address and instrument.  Any thoughts on what the problem may be?  Thanks.

Agilent33120_config1.jpg

Agilent33120_config2.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(7,290 Views)

Hi ingtony111,

Could you send us your project and send any screenshots of the configuration in MAX (if you are doing any)?

Thanks!

Chris T.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(7,271 Views)

I have the same issue with a Tek (tkafg3K) and a Keithley (3390) FGen. I can successfully call the IVI drivers for a Tek scope and a Keithley Dmm but the step for calling IVI Fgen is not working correctly.

I have a session and a logical name configured in MAX and they both show up in the IVI Session Name drop down. Running NI Spy I can see that the fgen_init_with_options function is getting passed a blank resource name. It is correctly configured in MAX.

I ran a CVI FGen example that calls the FGen class driver with the same logical name and it works just fine.

Another thing I notice is that with the Dmm and Scope when I select the IVI session name SE goes out and queries the driver and instrument. With the FGen it does not make any calls to Visa when I select the session names. I have to select run for the calls to the fgen init function and that is when I notice the resource string is blank.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(7,132 Views)

Hi cymrieg,

This issue is occurring on SignalExpress? Which version?

Thanks!

Chris T.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(7,106 Views)

Version 2010 with Tek also installed

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(7,095 Views)

Hi cymrieg,

This was reported to R&D (#277537) for further investigation.

Thanks for the feedback!

Chris T.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(7,075 Views)