Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to model rechargeable battery?

Hi, can someone help out a circuits-ignorant MechE?  I am trying to model a rechargeable battery in Multisim PowerPro V10.0.343.  (I am using the 30-day free trial, if that makes a difference.)  According to the reference section, "Multisim includes both an ideal battery (DC_POWER), with no internal resistance and a non-ideal battery, that allows you to changes its internal resistance and capacity (in ampere hours)."  For the life of me, I have not been able to find the "non-ideal battery," and can't figure out how to set the capacity on the DC_POWER component.  Can someone please point me in the right direction?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(17,480 Views)

I have 10.0.343 and as far I can see there is no non-ideal battery in the database. I read the same thing in the reference material that you did, but you have to realize that they use one manual for all versions and somethings listed in this component reference is only available in  certain version. I would say thiat this is a component that would be in the education version just like a few others that are listed in this document.

In my opinion the Power Pro Version should have everything in it from all the other tiers including the educational version. After all it is supposed to be the highest level of Multisim and to not include everything in it kinda goes against what it is supposed to be.

The only thing I can tell you is to try the acadwemic version and see it it is in there or you could model it using a large capacitor in series with a large resistor like I have done in the past. Also, you might look on the web to see if you can find a model for a non-ideal battery and create your own component for it.

Other than that there isn't much else that can be done. I hope I have helped. 

Kittmaster's Component Database
http://ni.kittmaster.com

Have a Nice Day
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(17,477 Views)
lacy,

power pro is missing a few things academia doesn't have. Breadboard comes to mind. But I've looked at both sides, don't see any way to model the OP's request.

Signature: Looking for a footprint, component, model? Might be here > http://ni.kittmaster.com
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(17,467 Views)
Hi PS_002:

The part you are looking for is the NON_IDEAL_BATTERY (in Sources > POWER_SOURCES). This is not available in the Professional versions. Try downloading the Educational trial instead.
Garret
Senior Software Developer
National Instruments
Circuit Design Community and Blog

If someone helped you, let them know. Mark as solved or give a kudo. 🙂
Message 4 of 8
(17,466 Views)
why wouldn't power pro have this in there? Who decides what database gets what? Shouldn't PP have every single component of all the tiers? If not whats the point?

If anything, PP would be using this just as any acedemia for modeling purposes!

Just curious.

Message Edited by kittmaster on 12-09-2007 10:12 PM

Signature: Looking for a footprint, component, model? Might be here > http://ni.kittmaster.com
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(17,464 Views)

I would have to agree with Chris on this one. Power Pro should be all inclusive. It should have everything in it including anything in the educational version.

This is to Chris,

There is a rudementary way to simulate a rechargable battery. This is with a series R/C circuit. The Cap and Resistor have to be quite large to simulate the charging cycle, but it works somewhat. It isn't perfect, but when testing a battery charging circuit it works well enough and is better than just a load resistor or trying to use the potentiometers. I know there is probably a better alternative than this, but for me it is the simplest.

Kittmaster's Component Database
http://ni.kittmaster.com

Have a Nice Day
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(17,459 Views)
Chris/Lacy:

I will pass on your suggestion.

Garret
Garret
Senior Software Developer
National Instruments
Circuit Design Community and Blog

If someone helped you, let them know. Mark as solved or give a kudo. 🙂
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(17,442 Views)

Is there still no Rechargeable battery for most important experiments. How can we doing some experiments with electric cars if it's not possible in multisim ?

Message 8 of 8
(13,197 Views)