From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

VXI and VME

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keep getting Error Code 12 while attempting to use VXI-8360 ExpressCard

Solved!
Go to solution
The VXI-8360 does not show up in Max.  So I am unable to perform the steps recommended by Torba.  Since the jumper has always been in the factory position, nothing has changed to send updated screen shots.
0 Kudos
Message 21 of 27
(6,717 Views)

rhoover17,

To confirm, you are saying that the W5 jumper has always been connecting pins 1 and 2 to boot from protected mode?  When the product was sold the jumper should have been connecting pins 2 and 3.  Moving the jumper to pins 1 and 2 should make the device boot from a protected configuration.  In this protected configuration the device should work correclty and be viewable in MAX.  Are you still having the code 12 issue after moving the jumper to pins 1 and 2 as shown on page C-3 in the VXI-MXI-Express Series User Guide available at http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/372145b.pdf ?

Eric K

Applications Engineering

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 27
(6,704 Views)

rhoover17,

Please refer to page B-1 of the user manual to find the location of W5 and confirm if the jumper is set across pins 1 and 2.  If it is not, then please set sit this way so that the controller can boot using the factory default settings of the EEPROM.  Then proceed with the remaining steps as I have outlined in the thread to hopefully resolve this issue.

If you have already done this and the PC still cannot find the controller, then please contact National Instruments support.  It will help to reference this forum thread and serial number of the controller handy for the support representative to assist you quickly.  The serial number is located either on the side cover of the controller, or on the inside on the board itself.  Look for a 6-7 digit alphanumeric number.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 27
(6,686 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author rhoover17
Problem has been solved.  It looks like there is a problem with the Slot 0 controller.  It will not work with one laptop but will work with the other.  I changed W5 to match the two slot 0 controller boards and it worked on one controller and not the other.  I changed W5 back to user config and only one of the two slot 0 controllers would work on both laptops.  Thanks for your help.
0 Kudos
Message 24 of 27
(6,595 Views)

rhoover17,

I'm curious, did the suspect controller boot properly after completing the factory default restoration process?  If so, what is the reported User Window Size setting in MAX?

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 27
(6,589 Views)

It did not boot properly.  Remember, it was in the factory default position the entire time.  I have since moved it to the User Config position and it works on the Dell XPS 1710 and receives error code 12 on the Dell XPS 1530.  Due to this error, MAX does not recognize it so I cannot retrieve the data for you.

0 Kudos
Message 26 of 27
(6,587 Views)
Thanks for the quick reply.  Can you check the User Window Size setting for the controller on the Dell XPS 1710?  Its possible that the setting is still too large but the 1710 is capable of assigning such a large address range unlike the 1530.
0 Kudos
Message 27 of 27
(6,584 Views)