From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

VXI and VME

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keep getting Error Code 12 while attempting to use VXI-8360 ExpressCard

Solved!
Go to solution

On the laptop that works, can you open the properties page in device manager and look at the resources tab, then post the ranges it lists?  The VXI MXI-Express may be requesting more resources than the other system is able to provide it.

Also, is the code 12 on a bridge or on the VXI MXI-Express device?

- Robert

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 27
(5,861 Views)
Both laptops are running XP SP3 and are running the 32 bit professional version of XP.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 27
(5,858 Views)
I have attached the different views in device manager from both systems.  I am hoping you see something that I do not.
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 27
(5,855 Views)

rhoover17,

What version of NI-VXI do you have installed on this machine?

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 27
(5,845 Views)

This might be relevant to the problem that you are seeing:

PC Fails to Boot or VXI-8360T Doesn't Show Up in MAX

The symptom that you have described is not listed in the document, but it is possible that the specific PC that you are using could be showing a new symptom for the same problem.  I would expect this document to only apply if you have or have had NI-VXI 3.5.1 installed on your machine at some point.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 27
(5,844 Views)
NI-VXI 3.5.2 on both machines.
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 27
(5,842 Views)

rhoover17,

One more thing to try.  I you view the user manual for your VXI-8360, which is available at http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/372145b.pdf, and go to page C-3, you will see a section titled "How to Fix an Invalid EEPROM Configuration".  Can you run through those instructions and let me know if reverting to the factory defaults solves your issue.  If it does not, can you please send me the screen shots that you included in the VXI836X_Resources.zip file again with updated screenshots after making this change?

Eric K

Applications Engineering

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 27
(5,832 Views)

Eric,

W5 is in the factory (protected) position. Since changing it requires me to take the card apart, I believe it will void my hardware warranty.  

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 27
(5,822 Views)

rhoover17,

Opening the cover to access the jumpers in the VXI-8360T will not void your warranty, nor will the process to restore the product to its factory defaults as outlined in the user manual.

One step that I would like to add to the restoration process is that when you boot the system with the Load Factory Defaults setting, go into MAX and open the Hardware Configuration for the VXI-8360T.  You may get a prompt that the board is in factory defaults mode and that the information displayed are User settings (what you originally had set that caused the code 12.)  Simply close this dialog and the hardware configuration window and MAX to apply the settings to the User side of the EEPROM.  Then shut down, reset the jumper to its default setting, boot again, and check for the code 12.

Regardless of the outcome, please check the User Window Size setting in MAX (check the KB on where to find the setting) and post the results to this thread.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 27
(5,791 Views)

rhoover17,

I should have posted here myself to follow up with Torba's message, but as he said, opening the cover the access the jumpers in the VXI-8360T will not void your warranty.

That said, have you had a chance to follow Torba's suggestions? If so, are you still experiencing the code 12 issue?  If you are, can you respond with updated screenshots of the same views of your device manager you attached earlier?

Eric K

Applications Engineering

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 27
(5,763 Views)