NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Report Generation broken after deployment - Excel Set Cell Color and Border.vi

Unfortunately, I have no more time to work on this problem since I ran out of time and reverted to TS 4.2.1 with LabVIEW 2009 SP1.

But to answer some of the questions ...

The deployment was created on Windows 7.  The target system has TS base deployment license.  The sequence file would not run since the VI was broken but after I relinked the invoke node, it ran fine.  I did not try to copy over the VI from the report generation toolkit.  The deployment included the TS Engine.

After I installed LabVIEW 2010 SP1 on the deployment system with the toolkit, the toolkit came up fine.  The version of the toolkit is whatever is included in the latest developer suite that includes 2010 SP1.  I am not sure about the versions of Excel but the development system may have 2010 while the deployment has 2007.  When I opened the VI on a system with 2003, it was broken.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 26
(3,064 Views)

After my colleague took over this project, the problem still exists after the deployment was generated from TS 4.2.1 / LV 2009 SP1 on a different development system (there are multiple reasons why we rolled it back).  This must have something to do with different versions of Excel on the target system vs. on the development system.  This time, the deployment was created on a system with Excel 2007 and installed on a system with Excel 2010.

If you have other questions, please let me know and I will have my colleague join in on the conversation.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 26
(3,054 Views)

Hi Ching-Hwa, 

Thank you for the update.  I apologize that you are still having this issue.  However, it does seem to be an issue caused by differing versions of Excel on the various machines.  Could you (or your colleague) try deploying this to a system that has the same version of Microsoft Excel as the development machine to see if you still get the broken VI error?  Thanks, Ching-Hwa!  Have a great day!  

Taylor G.
Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
www.ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 26
(3,031 Views)

Just experienced exactly the same problem on newly installed NI Developer suite 2011 during application build. I followed Darth_Vader_DK suggestions to fix the problem. 

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 26
(2,953 Views)

Had a similar problem. I could not build an exe that contained Excel Set Color and Border.vi. Darth_Vader_DK's suggestion fixed it and I can now build the exe. Thanks! 

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 26
(2,830 Views)

Kudos to Per Andersen!

The only thing i don't undertand why was i getting this error even when I was editing and evetually saving a VI unrelated to EXCEL?

Anyway, thanks for the tip.

Scientia est potentia!
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 26
(2,771 Views)

Hey magyar,

Were you performing any data logging to any other type of file (ie, text file, .TDMS, etc)? Were you using any of the Report Generation toolkit VIs? You're right - it's strange this happened when you were using a VI unrelated to excel.

Best,

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 26
(2,760 Views)

I was not using any of the Report generation toolkit VIs, but there are some VIs in my project hierarchy that do read from an EXCEL file.

I have a VI that is not called by the Main VI (M-E-test.vi), never the less it is in a folder where I keep VIs that I want to play with and they are kept as part of the same project.

Scientia est potentia!
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 26
(2,756 Views)

Hey magyar,

This could be the source of the problem. Are you up and running with the workaround suggested earlier?

Best,

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 26
(2,746 Views)

The workaround solved the problem.
Many years ago I did see something similar when I upgraded LabVIEW but not the Report Generation Tool Kit.
There too I had to dig down to some VI in the RGTK and disconnect or connect or reconnect some input to some low level VI.own to msome VI in the RGTK and disconnect or connect or reconnect some input to some low level VI.

Scientia est potentia!
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 26
(2,744 Views)