From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Signal Generators

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5673 sub components error status

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi Kyle:

That's it? The only solution is to sit a watch NI-Spy when the LED turns red?

1. The light is on 5450, the second or third one. It never turns ON on the first one.
  2. The application doesn't stop working and the signals seems to be generating fine, as far as I can tell tell.
  3. Yes, it does saty ON for the extended periods of time.
  4. I can communicate with the 5673 instrument. I don't know about 5450.
  5. The connections are not loose or missing.

-Ilya.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 17
(3,379 Views)

Hi Ilya,

No, the NI-Spy is a troubleshooting step to help us define the error code for the red LED, since neither you or I know the exact reason or source of the red LED.  NI-Spy runs in the background, and you would not have to monitor it constantly, it will produce a log from the time you start it to the time it stops.  You can have it run in the background and execute normally, so it would be helpful to know if an error would show up on NI-Spy to help us locate the source of the issue.

Kyle A.
National Instruments
Senior Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 17
(3,362 Views)

Hi Kyle:

What does RED LED mean then? If it indicates an error there should be a way to read this error. Same thing as in all other instruments. 

Sure, NI-SPY way may work, but it is kind of a back door way. What will happen if this generator will be sitting in some remote location and I can't see the color of the front panel's LEDs?

-Ilya.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 17
(3,276 Views)

Kyle A.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 17
(3,265 Views)

Hi Ilya,

Are you using niRFSG_Initiate or niRFSG_InitiateWithOptions?  Have you set up your system in MAX correctly?  Try using the initate with options function and explicitly specify the AWG and LO sources in the option string input.  Then when the red LED comes up the error should be identified in the RFSG session.  The red LED as stated before could mean either overheating or that the device is not able to properly PLL to the other hardware.

Kyle A.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 17
(3,250 Views)

Hi Kyle:

I hope that MAX is setup correctly.

The first generator the closest to the 5652 has LO set to this 5652. The rest have their LO set to External.

Is using niRFSG_InitiateWithOptions will overwrite the settings in MAX?

Is it possible that the sequence of the device shutdown (for the example the order of turning off being from 5611_1 to 5611_3) can generate red LED status?

-Ilya.

MAX_configuration.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 17
(3,246 Views)

Hi Ilya,

You mentioned you are seeing the red LED's on only two of the three 5450's you are using.  Can you change the LO on one of the two 5450's that is showing the issue from External to the 5652 and see if the red LED still appears? (you may have to rearranged hardware to get the other 5450/5611 system closer to the 5652)  This would tell us if the issue follows the 5450's or if the external LO is causing the issue.

Kyle A.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 17
(3,231 Views)