Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microcam, ever used?

Hi I am developing an application where I should use a very small camera placed few centimeters from the object. I know there are some smart cameras that have a small head linked with a bigger body, but I do not want to use smart camera. I was thinking about microcamera, for example the type that are placed in the cellphone.
Have anybody evere used this kind of product? Can you suggest me some product?

Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,193 Views)

Check this link

Apart from the camera being of smaller size, If you want the camera to be as close as possible to the object try reducing the focal length of the lens. For example a 6mm lens will drastically reduce your working distance.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,192 Views)

Now I am using an IDS camera, model LE that has a thickness of 3cm, plus a 6mm lens that has a thickness of 3cm. Total > 6cm that is a out of my range. In the link you posted me the products seems to be even to small.
I think the correct size could be the cell phone camera.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,186 Views)

In the link you posted me the products seems to be even to small.
You wanted a micro thing didnt you. :smileywink:Ok can you give us a breif description of your application?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,184 Views)

Ok, basically the application is a functional test for electronic boards. It is for test on field, then all the instruments are contained inside the a mechanical fixture ( a metal box). Operator place the board on the top of the fixture with the display toward the bottom. During the electrical test the camera is inside the fixture, it snaps several images in order to test the functionality of the display. Everything is working fine but there is the necessity to reduce the sizes. Now the working distance is around 4cm, plus 6cm of camera and lens. the camera that I usually use have a resolution of 1.2Mpixel (sometimes 3Mpixel) and they are usually monocrhome, but not always.

Hope helps you. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,180 Views)
To reduce the height of your system, you might consider positioning the camera and lens to look perpendicular to the part and position a first surface mirror at a 45 degree angle in front of the camera lens, so the camera can see the part...  This should cut the height of the camera system in half.
Robert Eastlund
Graftek Imaging, Inc.
Phone: (512) 416-1099 x101
Email: eastlund@graftek.com
Message 6 of 8
(4,160 Views)

Yes, I though about it, but this solution has some disadvange: more expensive and few empty space. Inside the fixture there are all the instruments and around the display there are also the nails to contact the test points.

The better solution should be a very camera like the one in cell phone. Do you know some product like that?

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,126 Views)

Using a 6 mm M12 lens with a C-Mount adapter may help to shave a few millimeters off the height of the assembly, see http://www.edmundoptics.com/onlinecatalog/displayproduct.cfm?productID=2660 and http://www.edmundoptics.com/onlinecatalog/displayproduct.cfm?productID=3188&PageNum=1&StartRow=1.

Robert Eastlund
Graftek Imaging, Inc.
Phone: (512) 416-1099 x101
Email: eastlund@graftek.com
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,115 Views)