Lookout

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lookout 6.6 broken again

This is the second time this happened. Trying to start Lookout 6.6 results in "Lookout Executable has encountered a problem and needs to close, Were sorry. . . "

The details always show AppName: lookout.exe AppVer: 6.6.0.49152 ModName: msvcr90.dll ModVerL 9.0.21022.8 Offset: 0002895d  All I did both times was click on my Lookout icon to start it.

Trying to repair with the disk does not work. I had to do a complete uninstall and reinstall to get it back, and tonight it happened again! Why on earth would a $5000 piece of software be so unreliable? Can I get any help from NI on this? 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(7,968 Views)

NI support for Lookout is email only, also this forum...  msvcr90 is the Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime object.  Running any custom objects (CBX or ActiveX)?

Best of luck,

Mike

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Forshock - Consult.Develop.Solve.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(7,959 Views)

No I'm not running anything, no active X or CBX. The lookout crashes immediately on startup and won't even start. The "Lookout Encountered a Problem and Needs to Close" comes up as soon as I hit the start icon. I realize msvc90 is part of the C++ runtime, but Lookout code must hook into this library, and the "hook" in Lookout keeps getting corrupted (my guess). When I uninstall/reinstall it will work again (for awhile).

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(7,955 Views)

Do you need to completely reinstall Lookout or the windows?

What is your OS?

Next time it happens, please zip the whole lookout folder, and the msvcr90.dll in system32 folder, upload to ftp://ftp.ni.com/incoming. If there is anything broken in lookout folder, such as lookout.exe, or broken in msvcr90.dll, I can try to reproduce.

I'm not sure if it's a crash or not. You can try to get a crash dump by this tool.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/dd996900

Input the command before starting lookout

procdump -e lookout.exe c:\dump.dmp

It will generate the dump when lookout.exe crashes. 

Ryan Shi
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(7,949 Views)

I need to uninstall/re-install Lookout 6.6 every time. I have uploaded the Lookout directory to the ftp site. It is "Lookout 6_CrashProblem3_9_12.zip". I put the msvcr90.dll file in the Examples\Applications directory. My OS is Win XP Pro SP3. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(7,940 Views)

They are the files before you reinstall lookout or after?

Ryan Shi
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(7,923 Views)

They are the files after re-install following the crash. I have uploaded another zipfile to the ftp server, this one is "Lookout Crash On Different Computer 3_10_12". I tried the re-install on a different computer and it does the same thing. Both are running WIN XP Pro SP3. There is a directory in there I made that has a screeshot of the crash and search results for msvcr90.dll. The msvcr90.dll I included was the most relevant one according to the crash dialog, i.e. version, etc. There are several msvcr90's as you can see from the search, and also some msvcr90.dll's in a Labview directory. On both computers Lookout worked a couple of times, and then the crash message box. Once the box appears Lookout will no longer start, the box appears immediately when you click the Lookout start icon. All of these uploads are after Lookout is broken. I am getting a bit concerned as I have other 6.6 installs running and many 6.0's and 6.2's which I was considering upgrading, but know I'm not so sure. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(7,914 Views)

It's maybe a bug.

Open your lookout.ini file. I see this

[DataPath]

DefaultLKP=E:

Do you have drive E on your computer? If I remove these codes, it will not crash(I don't have E: on my computer). But if you don't have drive E, I don't know how it is written to the ini.

Ryan Shi
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(7,903 Views)

I think the E drive may be from a thumb drive (?). Its the only thing I can think of. Thanks for all of your help on this.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(7,896 Views)

I’m running the same thing, Lookout6.6,  XP pro sp3.

I can make it crash with the same error repeatability by one simple keystroke. Maybe this information will help someone diagnose it.

I load Lookout 6.6 server, logon, go into edit, Object Explorer, open an object and (right click) edit data member, when the panel opens if I click “Quit” once it will close normally, but if I’m impatient and click it more than once I will get the dreaded “Lookout executable has encountered a problem and needs to close” error every time.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(7,814 Views)