LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW FTP update file

Solved!
Go to solution

I need to update an txt file over FTP using LabVIEW every 10 minutes.

To do this, I'm using the FTP Get Buffer, add a new line over the buffered data and finally using the FTP Put Buffer send the new file to the server.

However, when the file becomes too large, this process starts to take more time to download the file and to send it back to the server.

My question is, is there any other method in LabVIEW that can add a line to an existent file on a server using FTP or any other method to avoid this problem?

Best regards.

André Quintino

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,701 Views)

Your question is really more of an ftp question. The same thing could be asked when using any other ftp client. The real question is whether the ftp protocol allows you to modify a file on a server without first downloading it, changing it, and then uploading the new file. The ftp protocol has an APPE command which allows you to append data to an existing file on the server. If the file doesn't exist then the server is supposed to create it. As far as I know the Internet Toolkit does not have a VI to implement the APPE command. So if you wanted to do this you would need to do this yourself by probably creating your own ftp VIs. OpenG had an ftp library that you could probably use. You can get it here: http://wiki.openg.org/OpenG_Internet_Connectivity_Tools

Message 2 of 4
(3,695 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Quintino

Hi Quintino,
the LabVIEW Internet Toolkit has the APPE command which allows you to append data to an existing file.

You can explore the low level FTP command VIs in the llb library at:
C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2010\vi.lib\addons\internet\ftp\ftp1.llb

Regards,
Asper

Message 3 of 4
(3,628 Views)

@

I can't seem to find anything about the OpenG Internet Connectivity (OGIC) Tools. The link provided in your post is broken. The OGIC SourceForge page (http://sourceforge.net/projects/ogic/) seems to be dead / incomplete. This code doesn't seem to be in the current OpenG library. Any idea why? Or where I can find the OGIC Tools?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,073 Views)