LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview 7.1 won't run under Windows 7

I looked hard into this, manually starting all services that I could find relating to NI, without success.  Running under XP compatibility mode did not work.  Running as administrator did not work.  Starting Internet Information Services did not work.  Then I uninstalled, rebooted and ran installer setup.exe as Administrator (yes my account has administrator rights anyway) and it works.
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 36
(9,022 Views)
In Windows 7 there seems to be a difference between having admin rights and running as admin. Having admin rights gives you the right to change everything (ofc) but doesn't override rights while doing so. Thus, as you aren't allowed to create files directly on C: e.g. you wont be while installing unless you use Run As Administrator.

That's the logic i can see behind it as i've had to install several programs through that option. How correct it is ... well.

/Y
G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 36
(9,009 Views)

1. Launches NI License Manager

Start >> All Programs >> National Instruments >> NI License Manager

2. From menu bar, select Options >> Intall License File..

3. Browses to directory C:\Program Files\National Instruments\Shared\License Manager\Licenses

4. Select LabVIEW_LabVIEW_070100.lic

5. Open.

enjoy your LabVIEW7.1 on Windows7

Message 13 of 36
(8,311 Views)

I have installed and run LV7.1 on Windows 7 (32bit) without any issue and without doing anything special.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 36
(8,298 Views)

3. Browses to directory C:\Program Files\National Instruments\Shared\License Manager\Licenses

5. Open.

Thank you. your suggestion is good.My problem was solved by it

Message 15 of 36
(7,807 Views)

@tokohanz wrote:

5. Open.

It worked for me 🙂 (Win7 Enterprise x64)

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 36
(7,610 Views)

Thanks tokohanz!!

In the past, I installed multiple versions of LV on Win7 (32 and 64-bit), starting with v.6.1, without any issues - but I always installed them starting with the oldest. This time, after having reinstalled Windows (arrgh!), I installed LV2011 first, and then LV711, and I encountered this issue. Tokohanz's advice took care of it.

Sergey

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 36
(7,486 Views)

@dabretty wrote:

No luck.  I uninstalled Labview, rebooted, and proceeded to install Labview 7.1 by browsing onto the disk and running "setup.exe" as an administrator.  (Which, again, shouldn't have made much difference as there is only one account on the machines and I am the admin)

After installation and rebooting, no matter if I run the actual executable or try to open a VI, I still get the same error.

I'm confused as this is actually the first application I have not been able to run in Windows 7.  This fact combined with such a harsh, undescriptive error tells me there's something different going on with privileges that I am not aware of.

Are you trying to install pure LabVIEW 7.1 or also special Toolkits like DSC? I have no problems with LabVIEW 7.1 on my Windows 7 (32Bit) system.

As to starting an application as Administrator or simply executing it in an Administrator account: There is definitely a difference since Windows Vista. Some operations such as software installation (especially if device drivers or services are involved) do need a so called elevated level. Just logging in as administrator is not elevated enough for this. Depending on the setup of your machine, this elevation request can be just a simple dialog that you have to acknowledge or an explicit password confirmation with the administrator credentials. The first option is highly unsafe if you ever leave your machine running unattended.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 36
(7,476 Views)

The license manager solution worked for me as well.  My Labview 7.1 had been running fine under Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit, until I installed Labview 2009.  running the suggested license manager fix solved the problem neatly!  Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 36
(7,128 Views)

Great, that solution worked for me.

Paul.

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 36
(6,733 Views)