LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Writing to Open Excel file

At one time I was told of a 3 or 4 letter acronym (not ActiveX or anything like that) for a technology which allowed writing to an open Excel document.  I searched for that acronym on Discussion Forums and found an example which perfectly addressed the problem I was having.

Unfortunately I can't find that example anymore and I don't remember what that acronym was!  Any ideas?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,651 Views)
As long as the file is not locked you can write to it using either the report generation toolkit for ms office (labview add-on) or using the ADO interface (sql) using the database toolkit or other ado db tools written that are available for labview.  Search the forums.

Paul
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,644 Views)
Try searching for DDE.  It was the best way to remotely control Excel until about 12 years ago.
Michael Munroe, CLD, CTD, MCP
Automate 1M+ VI Search, Sort and Edit operations with Property Inspector 5.0, now with a new Interactive Window Manager!
Now supports full project automation using one-click custom macros or CLI.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,621 Views)
Hi 2and4,

Yes, I believe that DDE is the protocol you are interested in. While I do not know the exact forum post you found, try glancing at these previous posts:

Need help in DDE communications with Excel

retrieving data from excel using DDE

Let me know if this helps!

Regards  
Amanda Howard
Americas Services and Support Recruiting Manager
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,615 Views)
Thanks to all!  DDE was it...
0 Kudos