LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

interface an Xbox 360 controller

Call it 'insanity', 'hopefulness', or 'just plain luck'.....

I  repeated a step that I had done many times before without success (the 'insanity' part), and this time it finally worked (the 'luck' part?).

I plugged the Xbox x-plorer guitar hero USB into the PC. I heard the 'bonk' sound, and located the device as an 'unknown' device in the control panel (graphic looked like an old timey refrigerator). I right click on the icon and select 'troubleshoot'....well the nth time must be the charm....it finally located and installed something and gave me a big green check mark and said 'fixed' (even though the detailed text indicated no drivers found...)

The old timey refrigerater disappeared and the X-plorer Guitar was promoted to the top category on the 'devices' 'control panel' screen, and now looks like a 'gamepad' icon!! I can now right click and 'test' the gamepad poperties, and best of all all the LabView software can see it!!

This is not too dis-similar from the process I needed to go through to get XP to see these Xbox controllers. It was the X-plorer guitar beining installed through the XP 'hardware wizard' that finally brought forth the proper drivers. Then the gamepad worked too.

So, I am confident that the gamepad will now work on my Win 7 system..... (the 'hopefulnness' part).

P.S. We are doing all this to get unconventional ways to control our NXT robots!  

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 13
(1,338 Views)

Sorry about this triple post...but, for all of you out there struggling with this topic - and as a way to have my own notes on the subject - I close with the following: 

The Xbox gamepad (actually a MadCatz for Xbox) did not connect on its own.

Here's what I did: 

• Plug the USB controller into the computer. 
  • From the 'DEVICES AND PRINTERS' screen. Right clicked on the old-timey refrigerator icon labeled 'MadCatz'.
  • Get to the 'UPDATE DRIVER' screen. (I had to press a 'Change Setting' button to get there.)
  • Looking for drivers 'online' did not work; looking on my PC did not work; instead I chose to SELECT FROM A LIST OF DRIVERS on my PC This is where I saw the Xbox choices, and clicked on one that looked good.
  • Now it is in the top section of the Devices screen with a game controller icon labeled 'Madcatz GamePad' ! LabView can see it now too!

I don't think those Xbox drivers were there until the 'x-plorer guitar' finally loaded properly, but I can't confirm that. 

Phew!

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 13
(1,335 Views)

can enter the following link, you will find useful information

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-6036

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 13
(945 Views)