From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Darren's Weekly Nugget 10/23/2006

Hi Darren,

triggered by your history probes (which are great).
I have developed a new one for variants.

Get it at LAVA

Ton
Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
Message 11 of 22
(4,305 Views)
I don't know if anyone's following this thread anymore, but if there is, I'd appreciate any help you can give.

I've just discovered the Nuggets and am working my way through them. The history probes sound great, but I can't see them. I've put the HistoryProbes folder you refer to in my LabVIEW Data/Probes folder but when I right click on a wire with the wiring tool and go to Custom Probe, the history probes don't show up. I also tried moving the probes up a level -  from the HistoryProbe folder to the Probes folder, but that didn't help. I'm running 7.1 and know the probes were written in 7.0 so I tried opening and then saving each of them. That didn't help either.

I'd love to use the History probes but don't know how to "see" them.

Thanks for any help.
Margaret
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 22
(4,019 Views)
I'm not sure where they should be in LabVIEW 7, but you could write your own, and see where it is saved by LabVIEW. Copy the history probes from Darren to that folder and restart LabVIEW.

Ton
Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 22
(4,015 Views)
They are saved in LabVIEW Data\Probes. I can see my own but not his when I look for custom probes.

Margaret
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 22
(4,008 Views)
Place them in <user.lib>\_probes.

(4,005 Views)
tst wrote: Place them in <user.lib>\_probes.
--------------------------

That didn't help.

M
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 22
(3,999 Views)

Darren,

This is one nugget I wish I had seen when it was first posted.  It could have saved me quite a bit of time over the past year I'll bet.  Thanks!

Jim

LV 2020
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 22
(3,973 Views)

Thayer79 wrote:
tst wrote: Place them in \_probes.
--------------------------

That didn't help.

M

Not only it is necessary to place the History Probes folder inside <user.lib> --> _probes folder, but you should also do a Mass Compile of the unzipped History Probes folder to make it function properly for LV versions >7.0.

It is given in that link Darren has attached in his first post itself. Smiley Happy

- Partha ( CLD until Oct 2024 🙂 )
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 22
(3,948 Views)
I appreciate everyone's willingness to help, but nothing's worked so far. I have tried:

1) mass compiling the HistoryProbes folder in       My Documents\LabVIEW Data\Probes
2) mass compiling a different copy of the HistoryProbes folder in       C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 7.1\user.lib\_probes

The mass compiles worked, but I still don't see the history probes, though I still do see my own custom probe which is located in My Documents\LabVIEW Data\Probes.

I've tried this with the probes left in the HistoryProbes folder and with them one level up in the Probes and _probes folders. I've also tried it after restarting LabView.

Any other ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Margaret

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 22
(3,904 Views)
I just double-checked with my LabVIEW 7.1 and my History Probes work fine, and the probe VIs aren't even mass compiled.  Here is the setup on my machine:
  • I have several LabVIEWs installed (including 7.1) on my Windows XP machine
  • The History Probe VIs are in My Documents\LabVIEW Data\Probes\HistoryProbes
  • The VIs are saved in 7.0 (they're the exact same ones posted on the Community website)

Do you have multiple LabVIEW versions installed?  Is there a chance you mass compiled the History Probes in a later version, and now they're not working in 7.1?  Try doing a File > Open on some of the VIs in the HistoryProbes folder and see if the VIs open ok and are not broken.  Also, I don't know if strange things happen if you duplicate the probe VIs in different locations, so I recommend deleting any instances of the HistoryProbes folder (or VIs) you have on your machine (in My Documents, user.lib, or vi.lib) and stick with just the HistoryProbes folder in the location I give above.

Also, you mentioned that your own probes show up just fine.  Could you perhaps try making an identical copy of a History Probe VI and saving it as your own, and seeing if it shows up in the Custom Probes list?

I can't think of anything else you can try at the moment.  Keep us posted...

-D

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 22
(3,895 Views)