Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Nugget 1/29/2007

Solved!
Go to solution

@tst wrote:
Well, apparently you could:

https://decibel.ni.com/content/groups/sweet-apps/blog/2012/02/14/intel-pipe-dream-demo-industrial-co...

One thing I don't like there, though, is that the video is edited, so it's not clear how real this actually is. They also don't explain how they get it to work correctly.

I can't explain how they implemented it but I never had any question if WE could do it.

Thanks for that link Yair!

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 61 of 66
(1,854 Views)

OK, now they added a link to a video which does demonstrate better how it works and sounds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAQX8W3D6Mg

(1,831 Views)

Tomi wrote:

Also wait for notification or wait for multiple notifications nodes cannot be used in a non-re-entrant subVI safely as is described in this thread.

The link is now dead.  Could someone repost?  I did some testing before I wrote my Wait for Flag / Set Flag community example, and notifiers seemed to outperform occurrences.  Cannot remember if I was opening and closing the notifier reference repeatedly, though (which is of course not recommended).

Certified LabVIEW Architect
TestScript: Free Python/LabVIEW Connector

One global to rule them all,
One double-click to find them,
One interface to bring them all
and in the panel bind them.
0 Kudos
Message 63 of 66
(1,795 Views)

@LabBEAN wrote:

The link is now dead.  Could someone repost? 

This is the thread Tomi was talking about - http://lavag.org/topic/4028-notifier-signals-missed/

Note that there was a server crash on LAVA a while back, so not all of the attachments or images from that thread may be available.

I didn't look at the example you uploaded, but since I never had a need to test the performance of either notifiers or occurences, I don't know if I would have what to say about it anyway. What I would say is that I generally just code using what satisfies the functional requirement. Performance is usually not a factor in my case, since all options are good enough.

(1,780 Views)

Thanks for the link, tst.

tst wrote:

I didn't look at the example you uploaded, but since I never had a need to test the performance of either notifiers or occurences

The example I uploaded isn't a performance test.  I did the performance test before developing the reuse I posted in the example.  Early in my LabVIEW development, I was frustrated by 3 things:  (1) that I couldn't set a panel of controls to default at the same time (which maybe I could have back in 6i, but I wasn't aware of it anyhow), (2) that I couldn't pop up on a diagram node and "Create Controls and Indicators", and (3) that I had to jump through hoops to stop multiple loops with a Stop button (set mechanical action = switching, create local variables, set Boolean button back to False after all loops exit).  The first 2 we can do today in LabVIEW.  The third is still a point of frustration (e.g. creating Global Variables or monkeying with Notifier primitives).  Architecturally, you might not stop loops this way, but you might want to in secondary user interface pop up VIs or across daemons. So, I developed a simple solution that also has many other use cases.

Certified LabVIEW Architect
TestScript: Free Python/LabVIEW Connector

One global to rule them all,
One double-click to find them,
One interface to bring them all
and in the panel bind them.
0 Kudos
Message 65 of 66
(1,769 Views)

I was sent a link to a youtube video where someone did this in hardware and it looks like LV is involved.

Link to video

Take care,

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 66 of 66
(1,540 Views)