LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview for ipod itouch & iphone !!!

I just caught wind of a rumor (it was a smelly one) that Windows Mobile 7 will follow Apple's example and only allow apps through its "Market Place" store.

If this turns out to be true the future of the LabVIEW PDA Module might be at stake.

@Ravens - I think the iPhone platform has its uses in the LabVIEW market.  And it is not simply a telephone.  I use my iPhone more for web browsing and emailing than I do phone-calling (for instance). Besides, NI already supports the WinMo platform which is another smartphone market.  There certainly is an interest here (whether it interests you or not).

I'm not dismissing lv-pod.  He made some good points.  I wouldn't really hold my breathe on NI expanding their LabVIEW PDA Module to include iPhone development.  It isn't saying that it couldn't happen, however.  Adobe, for instance, released a tool (for quite a large sack of change) that allows flash developers to compile native iPhone apps from their flash code.  NI could follow this same modal if they see a market for it.

All that being said.  I did look into iPhone development this weekend.  The cost was fairly reasonable ($99 to develop and test applications on your device, and to setup a small group of users who can use your code w/o going through the AppStore).  LabVIEW Web Services really made a lot of applications that interact with LabVIEW running on a desktop possible.

I do intend to write-up my findings on LabVIEW and iPhone integration within the coming weeks.

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 49
(10,045 Views)

I agree with your post, Nickerbocker although I took Raven's comments perhaps as more tongue-in-cheek than anything and found them to be pretty funny (which is why I decided to put in another post after indicating I wouldn't; actually if it was up to me we'd still have Ma Bell and wired only phones (bring back Bell Labs...), but there you are - you can't spin the clock back).

Regarding Raven's sentiments, it's probably true that the majority of the 3 billion downloads from the App Store probably are "crap"! Even so, we're still talking about a market of size 10^9 downloads per year for things that are potentially useful and more likely than not, profitable.

A significant aspect of the iphone OS (and for Raven's benefit, I'd point out I have been trying to make clear I am talking about the OS in general and not any specific device in particular) is that this is a very rapidly growing new mobile "computing" platform. At this point there are three product ranges the OS supports, only one of which actually has a conventional telephony (PSTN) function built in (iphone/iphone3g/iphone3gs) and two of which do not (ipod touch, ipad). It would be amusing to see someone trying to hold the 10" ipad up to their head to make a phone call...

While I have been known to use my iphone3gs to make the occasional PSTN call, I suspect with no exaggeration that 99% of my use of it is for entirely different things - lot's of internet-based apps, even magnetic field prediction/modeling, doing the occasional analytic derivative/integral, and telnetting to remote instruments to get hex dumps of environmental data (failing the existence of the aforementioned native LV implementation). As far as telephony goes, I probably make more Skype calls on the thing (when traveling out of the country) than I make PSTN calls when in the country. So it begs the question whether the "primary" function of even the iphone is telephony, and it is certainly the case that the ipod/ipad platforms were not designed for that purpose. It's all about the business case - when an OS has achieved a certain market penetration, and the devices it supports are capable of carrying out a wide number of functions, developers will naturally fill in the product space. Nature abhors a vacuum. All I've suggested is that NI review its business case for staying out of this market, since there are customers who do want it to be in that market. After such a review it may take the decision that it still makes sense to stay away from this platform. If so, fair enough, although I think that would tend to encourage others to begin to inhabit that niche for this particular OS.

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 49
(10,028 Views)

I don't have an iPhone, but I did get an iPod touch, essentially an iPhone without the phone, and will say that I listen to music on it about 50% of it's useage, the rest being browsing the web, email, etc. It would be cool to be able to run LabVIEW, and lest we forget, the keynote message at a NIWeek a few years ago was "LabVIEW everywhere!"

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 49
(10,017 Views)

lv-pod wrote:

"...It would be amusing to see someone trying to hold the 10" ipad up to their head to make a phone call..."

If it has a camera, teach it to read lips.  Then we would not have to listen to people shouting across restaurants as they talk on their phones.

Lynn 

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 49
(10,014 Views)

He also must not have been an early adopter of cellular phones (they weren't call "cell phones" yet). Watch the humorous flashback in the X-Files episode that shows Mulder using an early one, about 10" with a pull out antenna as well.

😉

Yes, if we could run LabVIEW on the iPhone we'd be one step closer to realizing a "Tricorder" !

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 49
(10,006 Views)
I would like to see if Labview based executables can be deployed onto the newly released ipad, which I believe is going to take away a significant market of laptops (instead of smart phones or desktops) as its screen size is good for many nice applications and small enough to carry around. Wonder anyone has inside knowledge how this can be done?   Bryan
0 Kudos
Message 26 of 49
(9,598 Views)

From a programming standpoint, the iPad is close to identical to the iPod Touch and iPhone.  It would be a marvelous target for LabVIEW, but the technical hurdles are high due to Apple's various rules and prohibitions.  Lots of folks rail against their walled-garden approach, but their caution prioritizes network, performance, battery and security issues that were big concerns at the time of the iPhone's introduction and which remain big issues today (with, for instance, the malware-infested weather app thousands of folks recently downloaded in to their less-controlled Android handsets and which set up a demonstration botnet of more than 8,000 phones).

The iPad is less phone-network-centric than the iPhone, and its processor and battery storage are more capable, so maybe some of these concerns might ease in its case (just as previous prohibitions have gone away, such as the original ban on turn-by-turn navigation apps).  It would be the ultimate virtual machine portal!

0 Kudos
Message 27 of 49
(9,532 Views)

Coming soon!

http://www.remoteviewit.com

Message 28 of 49
(9,026 Views)

I changed my mind. You have to be on AT&T to have an iphone.

LabVIEW for Android OS would be better 🙂 go droid.

---------------------------------
[will work for kudos]
Message 29 of 49
(8,953 Views)

From a business perspective the iwhatsit market is still extremely volatile.

Android is catching up fast and Apple changes their policies often enough to make you dizzy.

I can full understand a company NOT wanting to make serious investment to get something like this up and running only to be scuppered by Apple because they decide it's not "cool" enough any more and they ban you from their market.

How many igadgets will be still in use in 5-10 years?  "Cool" changes very quickly.  And the ithings live almost solely off "cool".

Shane.

0 Kudos
Message 30 of 49
(8,877 Views)