From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VIAssemblyException "Failed to call InitLVClient function."

If I try to call my LabView Interop Assembly in a .net framework 4.0 application I'll get an unhandled VIAssembly exception.

No problem with .net framework 3.5.

My config is LabVIEW2010SP1 and MS VisualStudio2010.

Can that be fixed ?

Best regards

Christian

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(5,714 Views)

Christian,

LabVIEW does not support .NET 4.0 directly. Following this KB .NET Framework 4.0: LabVIEW 2010 did not undergo any testing using assemblies targeting the CLR 4.0.

Sure, the rest of the KB does not refer to your issue, but this sentence is important. I am not sure if this has been addressed with LV 2010 SP1, but regarding to your experience, i would say: No.

hope this helps,

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(5,685 Views)

I just installed LabVIEW 2011, and I still get this problem "Failed to call InitLVClient function".  Did you ever figure this out?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(5,521 Views)

No, but I haven't installed the current LV version yet. It will take at least 2 weeks before I can test this again. Will post the result here.

So far I wrap the lvInteropAssembly to add COM functionality and this wrapped version is .net 4.0 compatible.

Christian

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(5,509 Views)

I decided to just give up.  I'm implementing a vision development module project inside of a .NET 4 C# WPF application, so I ended up just putting all of my logic in C# rather than LabVIEW.

However, I am still interested in getting this to work for future projects, as I think this would be a really nice option... but it must work for .NET 4.0!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(5,498 Views)

I am running into the same problem.

I made a Interop Assembly in LabVIEW 2011 SP1 and am trying to integrate it into Visual C# 2010 (.NET 4.0).

I'm getting the same error as the OP.

What is the advised solution? I can't use a different version of .NET.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(5,277 Views)

Used LV 2011 SP1 , VS Studio 2010 ( Express ) .NET 4.0 and I get this message.

Is there any hope? 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(5,228 Views)

No.  LabVIEW does not yet support building an assembly for any version of the .NET framework later than 3.5.  See http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361H-01/lvhowto/building_a_net_assembly/ and http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361H-01/lvconcepts/net_defaults/#compatible explaining that LabVIEW uses CLR 2.0, and the MSDN compatibility chart showing that .NET 4.0 uses CLR 4.0.

Message 8 of 9
(5,221 Views)

To use a simple wrapper class for the LV interop assembly functions is an acceptable solution. This can be referenced/used within a pure 4.0 project without the LVClient error. It works for me since the last 3years.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(5,200 Views)