From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Darren's Weekly Nugget 04/13/2009

crelf wrote:

I've always used the private scripting nodes to use tags - any chance of the VIs in the new folder appearing in the standard palettes in LabVIEW 2009?

The UserTag VIs will not be in the palettes in LabVIEW 2009.  There are no plans to put them in the palettes, but they will continue to ship with LabVIEW.  If you think it would be a good idea to put them in the palettes, feel free to submit a product suggestion.

-D

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 19
(3,392 Views)
I wonder if I should just make a package that exposes some of the "hidden" (ie: not on the palette) features of LabVIEW...

Copyright © 2004-2023 Christopher G. Relf. Some Rights Reserved. This posting is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.
Message 12 of 19
(3,368 Views)

What about exposing them via right-click menu.

See here:

http://decibel.ni.com/content/message/5453#5453

Felix

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 19
(3,363 Views)

F. Schubert wrote:

What about exposing them via right-click menu.

I don't think that's the right framework for exposing hidden VIs in vi.lib - the right click framework is more for applying attributes to existing selected FP & BD items.

Copyright © 2004-2023 Christopher G. Relf. Some Rights Reserved. This posting is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 19
(3,345 Views)

I agree, my intention was not the same as yours. I was too busy in my thoughts about how to use this feature (already knowing that it exists and how to access it).

Exposing these features would be great, not only to facilitate/ease the usage. It also will allow access (and knwonledge) for more than a handful of LV-geeks that browse the LV directories for whatever exists there

Wouldn't it be as simple as creating a mnu entry for these VIs? Could it just be placed in the OpenG-tools, or distributed via VIPM-network?

By 'simple' I do mean technical simple and straightned legal aspects.

Felix

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 19
(3,332 Views)

F. Schubert wrote:

Wouldn't it be as simple as creating a mnu entry for these VIs? Could it just be placed in the OpenG-tools, or distributed via VIPM-network?

By 'simple' I do mean technical simple and straightned legal aspects.

I think yes for both of those.  OpenG already has some packages that expose hidden VIs (librarian(?), scripting, etc).

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 19
(3,250 Views)

Result of a short test: The tags are working in the runtime engine. But you can not save them because VIs can not be saved in the runtime engine. (Cite of initial post: Tag names/values are persisted when you save the VI after assigning a tag.)

Greetings,

shb

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 19
(2,745 Views)

Does anyone know whether user tags are supported in NXG?

Considering the boon they have represented to enhance and circumvent limitations of CG, it would be a shame if they were not (or a confirmation that NXG is not intended to be NX, but a brand new and incompatible language).

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 19
(2,133 Views)

@AbbeI wrote:

Does anyone know whether user tags are supported in NXG?

They are not.

NXG doesn't have invoke nodes and in NXG 5 there is no replacement for those methods or for the VIs.

That doesn't mean that they won't be there in the future, but NI's published roadmap doesn't go into that level of detail. In general, the implementation rate of existing LV features in NXG has certainly been slower than desired by many people (or not slow enough, for those who want NI to keep supporting and developing LV 20xx).

NI does say that if you have missing features that you need, you can save them in subVIs in older versions and call those subVIs from NXG, but I haven't tried that.

(2,093 Views)