LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Micro-Nuggets !!! ~~~~ Post 'em if you got 'em

My LV 6.1 can re-size the index array.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 151 of 361
(2,944 Views)

uN.png

Richard

Message 152 of 361
(2,941 Views)

@taper wrote:

I see multiple index array functions a lot in older code here. 

Yes, the resizeable index array was not available in ancient LabVIEW versions.

It would be even better if "IP to string" would also accept arrays of course, eliminating the FOR loop in my code (could be an idea??). Internallly "IP to string" needs to be fully parallel such that lookup of the first element does not block other lookups. For example, we don't want to wait "N" UDP timeouts if the nameserver is incorrectly configured or unavailable.

0 Kudos
Message 153 of 361
(2,935 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

It is actually most useful and revealing for external web sites. Many big sites back translate to several addresses for load balancing and redundancy reasons. Here's ni.com from my geographic location:

Note: unfortunately this will not work if you behind the proxy (at least doesn't work for me).

0 Kudos
Message 154 of 361
(2,922 Views)

I am using a caching DNS proxy on my router and it works just fine. It probably depends on the type of proxy connections and DNS cofiguration.

0 Kudos
Message 155 of 361
(2,904 Views)

@BOB Schor wrote:

If you are proposing adding Shift Registers to Stacked Sequences, I say "Hurray", particularly if it works with a single sequence.  I think I could explain that OK to my students ...  [the BS test of a Good Idea]

I would prefer a r-click option on stacked sequences to "Convert to For/while loop with case structure". Sequence locals should automatically be converted to shift register. 🙂

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 156 of 361
(2,839 Views)

Proberly been said earlier. But when working on anything above a basic vi. Use sub vis, each sub-vi doing one function and doing it well instead of more complicated vis doing a number of things badly

TD 

Please remember to accept any solutions and give kudos, Thanks

LV 8.6.1, LV2010,LV2011SP1, FPGA, Win7
Message 157 of 361
(2,790 Views)

I always place my QMH Cluster Definition in it's own state labeled ~local defs.  the ~(tilde) char is 0x7E so sorting the cases puts the ~local defs at the end of the list. This case is NEVER called it just serves to define the QHM cluster.

~local defs.JPG

Visualize the Solution

CLA

LabVIEW, LabVIEW FPGA
Message 158 of 361
(2,737 Views)

To make a gauge scale sit on 90, 180 or 270 degree increments without trying to position the endpoints to sub-pixel accuracy, use Shift-Drag on the maximum end of the scale.

Look at this sequence of images showing a default gauge followed by moving the minimum and maximum ends of the scale:

Default Gauge scale.png   Rotate scale.png   Rotate max.png

That drove me crazy for several hours recently.  I was trying to make elevation and azimuth gauges.  The image below shows the effect of Shift-Drag on the gauge in the Rotate Maximum image.

Shift Rotate max.png

I discovered this at LV Developer Education Day today.  The NI people there were unaware of this.  i could not find anything in the help or other documentation on this effect.

Shift-Drag does not pin the minimum scale end to 90 degree points.

Lynn

Message 159 of 361
(2,649 Views)

@broken Arrow wrote:

If you make an EXE and find that some of the fonts are larger or smaller than you expected, it's because the EXE has rolled back to the default font sizes. An EXE doesn't look for your labview.ini file, so it doesn't know that you you use 14 Application Font rather than 13 (for instance) . Here's what I put in the ini file of all my built applications (i.e. the ini file that LabVIEW makes for you [such as MyApplication.ini] when you do a build).

AppFont="Tahoma" 14
SystemFont="Tahoma" 14
DialogFont="Tahoma" 14

That'll do pig! :mantongue:

To follow up on this, you can also specify fonts by number, the numbers being AppFont = 1, SystemFont = 2, DialogFont = 3 (current font = 4?)

If you do this in the ini for a built exe, the numbers refer to the font settings in labview.ini, so I often wind up with something like this:

appFont="2" 13
dialogFont="2" 13
systemFont="2" 13

which will set all of the exe's fonts to the same as 13pt in whatever font labview.ini has set as the system font.  This gives you 13pt tahoma on XP and 13pt Segoe on Win7, or etc.

but the real power of this is when you are coding something that requires a font input.  Here's a snippet of "Draw Text at Point.vi"  There's an enum control to select one of the stock fonts or for user-specified.  If you go with a stock font, you cannot change the size & style properties.   So you have to use user-specified, but you don't want to specify the font with a constant... use the number for the font name!

font_by_numbers.png

-Barrett
CLD
Message 160 of 361
(2,501 Views)