From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Omega CN7500 communication (ASCII protocol)

Chemist189,

nyc was referring to our Version Conversion page. Feel free to save the code and upload it to the discussion forum if you want to view it in LabVIEW 7.1. I must stress that johnsold has provided a good amount of information on this issue, so please feel free to indicate a specific question related to Omega CN7500 communication.

Best,

Jason M.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 38
(3,165 Views)

Thanks both, for informing me about the Version Conversion board - sorry, I'd somehow never been aware this existed. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 38
(3,151 Views)

Hi All,

I've taken much of ChE3208's code and developed a small instrument driver for the CN7500 temperature controller.  The instrument driver allows you to monitor the process value, set point value, and front panel LEDs from the controller.  It also allows you to send set point values to the device.  This instrument driver is setup to help you get started using the device and does not cover every functionality available on the controller.  I have included an example as well.  Please ensure your device's serial configuration matches the configuration in the code for the example to work correctly.

The attached instrument driver was created in LabVIEW 2012.  Please note this driver has not been verified by NI or Omega.  I can convert it to an older version if need be.

Hope these are able to help someone out.

Cory

Message 13 of 38
(3,120 Views)

Greetings.

I need this communication, but I have LabVIEW 2009, you can download the version.
  thanks

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 38
(3,038 Views)

Hi,

I am not sure if you meant to ask a question or stated a response. Please clarify.

Also, I would recommend generating a new thread as this one has been inactive for 5 months. New threads are actively monitored by forum members and can get a much faster response.

You can reference this thread in the new one.

Regards

Arham H
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 38
(3,000 Views)

Sorry I have not answered sooner.  I assume you wanted me to convert the files to LV 2009.  Please see attached zip file and see if this works for you.  The files were saved for LabVIEW 8.6.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 38
(2,996 Views)

Hi, I was wondering if you could convert your driver to labview 9.0 as well.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 38
(2,846 Views)

Ignore this post, I just saw that it has already been addressed

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 38
(2,844 Views)

Forgive me if this is an elementary question: I am using the Omega cn7500 hooked through an NI DAQ board. How would I tell the controler where to read and write from? (How would I specify in the program the physical channel that I have the temperature controler wired to?)

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 38
(2,834 Views)

I don't think you can run the CN7500 through typical analog and digital I/O channels.  These temperature controllers communicate over RS485, so you will need to get an RS485 to RS232 converter (from B&B Electronics or other mfg.) to allow you to connect to your pc.

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 38
(2,830 Views)