Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LV&MAX show constantly increasing ASRL numbers for seriall&parallel ports upon refresh

Dear all,

upon newinstallation of Labview 2010 SP 1 (10.0.1) on win xp, I couldn't reconnect over the serial port any more to a previously nicely working instruments. The VISA resource name input of the serial write VI suggests three I/O ports with ASRL numbers. Neither of them works. Strangely enough, refreshing the list yields again three ports, however with increased numbers, i.e. i.e. from 177-179 to 180-182, and so on.

The tab 'serial & parallel' ports in MAX (4.7.7f0) reveals the same three resources with type I/O Port. Applying an alias to one of these ports is not possible: "un unkown error occured while trying to apply the new settings." Moreover, refreshing (F5) will also constantly increase the ASRL numbers.

Any ideas how to solve this issue, get constant ASRL numbers and reconnect to my device?

Thanks for your help,

Peter

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,967 Views)

Peter,

The way that National Instruments software works is, once you install software, you must repair all associated drivers so that the new software integrates with the drivers correctly. To do this:

• Click Start>>Control Panel>>Add or Remove Programs>>National Instruments Software>>Change/Repair>>Select your NI VISA driver>>Click repair>>Select your NI 488.2 driver>>Click Repair>>Select NI DAQmx driver>>Click Repair>>Reboot computer

This should correct the communication issues that you are facing.

Regards,

-Larry H.

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,957 Views)

Thank you for the reply, Larry.

I did a repair of these 3 drivers you suggested --> no improve. MAX still shows the increasing ASRL numbers upon refresh.

I then did a repair of the whole NI installation --> no improve either.

I finally installed the newest DAQmx version 9.3.0. This also did not resolve the situation.

Any more suggestions from your side? Re-installation of the whole LabVIEW suite?

Thanks,

Peter

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,939 Views)

Peter,

What version of the NI-Serial driver do you have installed? Is it NI-Serial 3.7? If not, please update to the newest NI-Serial driver found here: http://joule.ni.com/nidu/cds/view/p/id/2316/lang/en

Also, the issue involving the alias not being able to be changed may indicate an error with your MAX database. If you could, uninstall Measurement and Automation (this will be different than the Repair feature because the repair feature simply looks for missing files, it does not look for corrupt files). Also, uninstall your NI-Serial driver and reboot. Once your computer restarts, reinstall MAX, then reinstall the newest NI-Serial driver.

From your original problem description, it seems that the issue resides between your Serial driver and MAX.

-Larry H.

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,935 Views)

I'm having the same problem with COM and LPT ports.

First i had trouble with GPIB, so i updated GPIB 488-2 and VISA drivers.

GPIB worked ok but ASRL numbers started to increasing.

Windows configuration its ok, i tested the COM ports. Seems like MAX is a bit weird. I tought it was MAX data base corruption.

Right now im uninstalling everything related to national instruments, and will start to install again.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,929 Views)
I had trouble with a computer on a test station, not the development one. And was solved: 1) uninstall all related to national instruments 2) delete remaining folders in "program files" and "documents and settings". 3) Not sure if needed, but before reinstall the drivers again, i deleted the remaining windows registry entries. 4) Reinstall Visa 5.03, NI 288-2 2.81 and run time (2009 and 2010). After this, the yellow exclamations on COM and LPT ports gone. I can save the changes made in MAX and no port number increment.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,915 Views)

Hello Alberto,

could you clarify how did you delete all Windows register entries ?

thank you

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,899 Views)

This link may help:

http://www.gammadyne.com/registry.htm

I searched the national instruments entries on registry, and deleted them.
But you need to be careful, and be sure that you are deleting only national instruments entries.

The link explains how to back up the windows registry before delete entries. And how to restore them in case of trouble.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,883 Views)

I could finally resolve the issue.

The installed NI-Serial version was 3.7.

As suggested by Larry, I tried first to uninstall MAX. This however meant to uninstall basically the whole Labview Suite, as a lot of NI components depend on MAX directly. I therefore first checked for a corrupt MAX database. Rebuilding the database, as described here http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/86256F0E001DA9FF86256FFD005B827C did NOT resolve the port number increment issue.

In the end, I removed ALL NI software with the NI uninstall tool from Add/Remove Software. For that, I needed to uninstall component after component & restart several times. I also removed all the National Instruments registry entries under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, deleted the NI program folder and removed all NI Application Data under C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data.

A clean reinstall of the LabView Development Suite 2011 seems therefore to be the only solution, as also suggested by AlbertoEnciso

Thanks for your help,

Peter

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,869 Views)