From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI-488.2 does work on Windows XP Mode within Windows 7

Doug_1610,

Unfortunately, there is no fix yet for XP Mode, and VM Ware is still the best alternate option.  There may be better news in the future, but any timeline is uncertain.

My apologies for this inconvenience,

Jen W

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

ni.com/support

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 55
(3,212 Views)

Well this is no good! I just received a brand new GPIB-USB-HS card. Everything else that must run under WinXP Mode (Virtual PC) does, and now to find this out! Not to mention that folks have been having issues with this for about a year now, without the issue being addressed.

I will be sending the card back. What lousy support for your loyal customers! If you want people to migrate to Win7 then you must provide the capability.

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 55
(3,195 Views)

Hi BP101,

Is there any reason why VM Ware will not work for your situtation?

Regards,

Hassan Atassi
Senior Group Manager, Digital Support
0 Kudos
Message 23 of 55
(3,167 Views)

Hi Hassan,

The short answer is no. The long answer is that it took several days to get all the other needed software in place and validated only to find the issue with this product, and as a user I would expect both to work the same way.

I had no choice but to switch to the VMWare Player. It does work - after another several days of effort to switch over.

To others, DON'T EVEN START WITH WINDOWS VIRTUAL PC, go straight to VMWARE Player. VMWare Player is free, the only difference for Windows XP, is that you need to provide a Windows XP disk for install, whereas for Virtual PC you get XP SP3 installed by default without an XP disk required. VMWare Player doesn't require Windows 7 Professional either as far as I know.

Message 24 of 55
(3,109 Views)

This is an absolute joke.  How come every other USB device I have works in XP mode?  I mean come on....you guys are National Instruments.  Surely you guys have a 1 GB Driver somewhere that will fix this.

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 55
(3,083 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 26 of 55
(3,018 Views)

The Agilent USB GPIB adapter works in Windows 7 XP Mode.

How about it NI, do you want to move us away from NI hardware?

0 Kudos
Message 27 of 55
(3,011 Views)

Thank you all for your feedback on this issue. We have been working to resolve this issue, and are currently testing an updated driver which will allow the GPIB-USB-HS to enumerate properly in Windows XP Mode. This will be available soon in the form of a beta driver, and will also be included in our next official release of NI-488.2 for Windows. We will post to this forum with instructions to obtain the beta driver as soon as it is available.

--Michelle

National Instruments
Message 28 of 55
(2,970 Views)

Well thank you Michelle!  Thanks to all the users of NI hardware and software who wrote in to keep NI to pursue this.  We'll be waiting for the beta driver on "pins and needles"!

0 Kudos
Message 29 of 55
(2,952 Views)

We have a beta ready for you to try. Please go here to request access to the beta version of 488.2. You will need to fill out the request form - Please be sure to answer the question regarding the reason for your interest in the beta with some reference to accessing USB GPIB devices in XP Mode.

Once you receive the beta, please provide feedback through the beta website.

--Michelle

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 30 of 55
(2,914 Views)