Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB RS232 type sensor with Labview to read and record data on laptop computer

One of the differences between Hyperterminal and LabVIEW is that Hyperterminal always adds a cr/lf after a message and LabVIEW does not.

In LabVIEW you have to add it to your message if necessary. In Hyperterminal you will get problems with instruments that don't like cr/lf.

Another difference is that there is a small delay between 2 characters in hyperterminal.

greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 21 of 23
(1,633 Views)

Thank you Albert. After reading this post I try to communicate my "Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge" with my PC via Hyperterminal (Tera Term), without any success. The commands that I have to send end with "\r", and I always wrote it in Labview. With the Hyperterminal i tried to send a Broadcast Command, with "\r", without,... and so on, but any success was achieved.

I dont know what´s the problem. I downloaded from Silicon Labs webpage CP210xSetIDs.exe, PortNumExampleVC.exe, CP210xBaudRateAliasConfig.exe, CP210xPortConfig.exe and CP210xPortReadWrite.exe. These are small programs to check if the "Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge" is working or not. I have success with all of them, except with CP210xPortConfig.exe, because when i tried to open it, i got the next message: "This feature is not supported by the select device". In the attached Figure6 you can see this program´s interface. 

Thank you so much for your answers, and if you have any idea that could help me, tell it to me please. I am a little bit desesperated.

Best regards 

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 23
(1,617 Views)

I apologize sincerely for interrupting, but I cannot get VISA or MAX to recognize the adapter I purchased, a CommFront USB-RS232-1. I purchsed this device because I learned it could be used with NI.   I had a one-hour discussion with NI Support, without success; I was in a bit of a delimna because the NI adapter I purchased failed after only four days. Lul, how does one get NI resources to recognize an alien adapter.  It shows up in Device Manager as "USB< >Serial."

Again, sorry for the interruption, but, Lul seems to be answering the post quite nicely.  And, thanks for any assistance.

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 23
(1,363 Views)