Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum changes in 2012!

The only thing it ever did for me is remind of the posts that I auto-sensored.

If you think what I post is egy, you should see what I did not post.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 21 of 78
(7,666 Views)

Oh I LIKE autosave.

Do I need the last autosaved time to show in the edit window--- methinks not

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 22 of 78
(7,664 Views)

It seems to me that the Me Too function would be useful for a forum that supports a more real-time service based (web) application.

Users to the forum would see the most recent posts first. They would see a post regarding the same problem they came to the forum for and click "me too". As the Lithium forum indicated, a background process could notify all the "me too" users that a fix was available or whatever. 

"Hey! the submit button doesn't work!" "Me too!""Me too!""Me too!""Me too!" The support staff can prioritize based on duplicate problems.

Maybe the best use of this feature for us would be a Bugs Board. Each confirmed bug would have a description (first post). Those who need the fix would click "Me too!" and could then receive a notice or maybe request to provide more info or testing. Follow up posts could describe work-arounds.

When the bug is fixed, the details would be posted, "Me too!" users notified and that post marked as the solution.

Yeah, with SOPA/PIPA blackouts, I don't have much to do today. Smiley LOL

Now is the right time to use %^<%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%3uZ>T
If you don't hate time zones, you're not a real programmer.

"You are what you don't automate"
Inplaceness is synonymous with insidiousness

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 78
(7,662 Views)

@Ben wrote:
Could someone try to explain what good the Me Too button is intended to do and how it will improve the forum, please?
The "Me too" feature is intended to help cut down on duplicated threads and highlight the problems/solutions that are most prevalent. Users should simply select the "Me too" button if they have the problem as well. Currently, giving Kudos is a bit ambiguous as to when it is appropriate (see this thread). "Me too" is a tool to help users echo the OP's initial post or the final solution. It can also help better define when to Kudos or when to "Me too" (Kudos remain as a way to express appreciation to the person). "Me too" does not affect ratings, but is simply tracking how many people had a specific problem.
I understand new features and changes are sometimes difficult to absorb. The "Me too" addition is a simple way to help pinpoint the areas and specific problems users are having. It will also help pinpoint areas in which NI needs to provide more/better support. 
Currently this new feature is just that... new. I have Kudoed this idea and submitted this idea to Lithium for more functionality as far as metrics and sorting. I am on your side and want to improve the Forum experience! 
Message 24 of 78
(7,655 Views)

As I sort pages newest on top, I have to scroll to the first page to see the button.

So now I pressed it and 5 persons became 6 and that was all ever will happen.

greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 25 of 78
(7,640 Views)

Ben wrote:

If you think what I post is egy, you should see what I did not post.

Edgy???

Nah...  Not edgy...  Not edgy at all..  LOL!!!

Ya gatta let loose... Groovy man..

Peace..

(long live the 70's)

0 Kudos
Message 26 of 78
(7,673 Views)

@Jordan G wrote:

@Ben wrote:
Could someone try to explain what good the Me Too button is intended to do and how it will improve the forum, please?
The "Me too" feature is intended to help cut down on duplicated threads and highlight the problems/solutions that are most prevalent. Users should simply select the "Me too" button if they have the problem as well. Currently, giving Kudos is a bit ambiguous as to when it is appropriate (see this thread). "Me too" is a tool to help users echo the OP's initial post or the final solution. It can also help better define when to Kudos or when to "Me too" (Kudos remain as a way to express appreciation to the person). "Me too" does not affect ratings, but is simply tracking how many people had a specific problem.
I understand new features and changes are sometimes difficult to absorb. The "Me too" addition is a simple way to help pinpoint the areas and specific problems users are having. It will also help pinpoint areas in which NI needs to provide more/better support. 
Currently this new feature is just that... new. I have Kudoed this idea and submitted this idea to Lithium for more functionality as far as metrics and sorting. I am on your side and want to improve the Forum experience! 

And it will do that by ..... WHAT?

Is there a list somewhere that I have not noticed?

Please "throw me a bone".

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 27 of 78
(7,665 Views)

~~~~~Bone

If nothing else- When searchable, Me Too's will offer Guidance on what users commonly stumble over.  Tthis can be used by the community and NI to:

• identify areas in the Help files that need upgrade or disambiguation
    • point to what KB articles may need authoring
    • guide Community Nugget development
    • Focus for FAQ areas- (if that gets going)
    • feedback for new features feature expansion and product offerings

(assuming NI will find someone to datamine and organize the Me too's by some catagory- hence a good practice for the community would be to tag your me too's by catagory but, that's probably a pipe dream) 

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 28 of 78
(7,655 Views)

@Jeff Bohrer wrote:

(assuming NI will find someone to datamine and organize the Me too's by some catagory- hence a good practice for the community would be to tag your me too's by catagory but, that's probably a pipe dream) 

Tagging me too's could be traded for kudos in the Idea Exchange or votes for the next coding competition. Add in some Tweets and a Like button and we can all go insane!

I should become a commodities trader...

Now is the right time to use %^<%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%3uZ>T
If you don't hate time zones, you're not a real programmer.

"You are what you don't automate"
Inplaceness is synonymous with insidiousness

0 Kudos
Message 29 of 78
(7,649 Views)

I could see a "Like" button...  Maybe use the same button but rename it from "Me Too" to "Like".

"Me Too" sounds ambiguous. 

Ity's like:

"I got up this morning"

"Me Too"

I don't get the sense that it refers to "I had the same problem... Thanks for sharing on this forum", which is what I assume is the intent of the button.

0 Kudos
Message 30 of 78
(7,623 Views)