Wireless Sensor Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ni-wsn 9791 can not receive user or debug message from strain gauge node

Software Labview2001sp1 32bit,

gateway  9791   non-programmerable, firmware both 1.3 and 1.4 are tried.

note:  NI-WSN 3214 programmerable

University of Strathclyde

I try the 9791 example from Labview, I can read from node via  nodeIO by variable reference (strain waveform graph has update 5second).

problems:

(1)but I can not set digital IO port 0:   DIO0

(2) I can not receive any massge, debug or user message! I put send message VI in  "sample", "DOI change" "received mode"

(3) is there any tips to debug VI on wireless target.

(4) Please check my host program schematic, what should I do between  radio-send and radio-message-get?  do I need to check  status before get?

VIs on node:  using both "sending debug message" and "send user message"  in "receive" and "sample" states.

My  questions :  

(1)  whether the non-programmerable  gateway  9791  is the obstacle for receiving/sending user message?

(2) is there any statics information I can look into for gateway,  message queue, message received?

It seems only for the programmeable gateway

Thanks very much

I upload the project and screenshotfront panel.pngschematic.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(8,576 Views)

Hi qingfeng.xia

1. Looking at the settings of the 3214 in your project it looks like the DIO lines are set to DI - TTL Logic. If you would like them to be DO right click on the Node in the Project Explorer and select Properties. Then Highlight the DIO-0 channel and change the DIO mode to DO - Drive High and Low from the drop down menu. Press OK and then right click the node in the project explorer again and select deploy to deploy the settings to the node. Then you should be able to toggle the DO line by writing to the IOV. 

2. For the Debug messages right click the LabVIEW WSN target under the Node in the Project explorer and select WSN System Monitor. This will bring up the WSN system monitor. Click the Details heading to expand the debug window. Debug messages will be displayed here. 

For User messages the custom LabVIEW WSN program has to built and deployed to the target. In the project that you attached you do not have a build spec for the 3214. Are you building and deploying the custom program before trying to read the user messages?

3. I find the easiest way to debug on the nodes is to use the debug messages and to simply put pertinent info in the string I'm sending in that message. Usually it contains what part of the code I am in and then the labeled info. 

4. You may want to monitor the Status to see when the message is actually sent to the node but it isn't required. 

Answer to your questions

1. The 9791 will not be an obstacle for sending or receiving user messages.

2. I'm not quite sure what you are asking here. You can check the status of a message using the Message status VI but this simply tells you if the gateway has sent the message in the reference you wire to it. 

General observations/suggestions based on the VI you have included 

I would avoid using clusters in your code that runs on the nodes. There isn't a problem with clusters explicitly but they tend to take up more ram space on the node than just keeping the data separate.

I would also try to avoid using the flatten to string function as it is unsupported in LabVIEW WSN 2011. It may work or it may not so I would just avoid using it and just stick with using string explicitly or converting from a specific data type to a string via the conversion vi on the strings pallet. 

Cheers,

Brian A

R & D Product Support Engineer | WSN/Network DAQ/Academic

National Instruments 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(8,559 Views)

Thanks very much, Brian, yours advice is very useful.  They are not shown in user manual.

---------------------

For User messages the custom LabVIEW WSN program has to built and deployed to the target. In the project that you attached you do not have a build spec for the 3214. Are you building and deploying the custom program before trying to read the user messages?

-----------------

This is the key for my problem, the first time I try on WSN node, the compilation takes 1 minute to finish with error (see below). But when I start with a simple code based on example code, the deploy takes 1 second.  It means the new program is never updated and uploaded.

=====================new problem comes up=====================

no matching section

undefined    first referenced                                                                                                                     
  symbol          in file                                                                                                                          
 ---------    ----------------                                                                                                                     
 InitBss                                                                                                                                           
 dataPadding                                                                                                                                       
 flashPadding                                                                                                                                      
 main         C:\\Program Files (x86)\\National Instruments\\LabVIEW 2011\\Targets\\NI\\Embedded\\WSN\\toolchain\\msp430\\lib\rts430x.lib<boot.obj>

error: unresolved symbols remain
error: errors encountered during linking;
   "D:\\WindTurbineWorkDir\\LabviewProj\\test project\\NI-wsn 9791 test
   Project\\NI WSN-9791\\Node3\\My Application\\My Application.out" not built

=====================my guess firmwares not match====================

(1)Gateway fireware, once I can connect to gateway, it should be alright. currently v1.4, it should mathc NI-WSN v1.4

(2)Lavview and WSN version,  since NI-wsn 3214 is a new product in 2012. 

I suspect whether this node is supported by my NI-WSN pioneer module

my colleague just upgrade to 2012 with some problem, so I am reluctant to upgrade from 2011SP1

=====================my trial==================

found out ni-wsn version in  ni-wsn readme.html  v1.3

-> chech NI web, it does not support  ni-wsn 3214

-> upgrade to msn-1.4 which is said to support labview 2011sp1

DO NOT uninstall  v1.3 wsn module, just download wsn-1.4 make upgrade, so  old WSN module license for 2011 is still valid.

So the test project can be build sucussfully

===================still problemetic===========================

Sadly, the project still does not work as I expected, but I will  inspect carefully and paste my new trail and failure later.

=============================================

Thanks Brian

http://www.iesensor.com
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(8,548 Views)

I am so haste  to try the program, that I did not restart the PC, it can leads to some problem. After I check MAX explorer, I realized it!

Sorry, I restart many times this morning to install wsn v1.4, lazy this time:(

-----------------------------------

Now I suspect the gateway setting,  after install ni-wsn v1.4, I update gateway firmware again, it still is shown as v1.4.    The time on gateway is nonsense, but it does not matter

As Brian has mentioned Cluster flatten should not be used, It will lead to node reboot.

Remove all this kind of VI.  In fact, node side can not support all VI like PC side, so make the VI is as simple as possible!

I upload some figure to show some key steps.  

right click  my application  node target's build spec, select build and deplay!!!

how to build and deploy NI-WSN node in project exploer.png

how to build and deploy NI-WSN node in project exploer.pngNI-WSN node debug message in system monitor.png

I will also upload the final tutorial and program to my personal website:

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(8,543 Views)