cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WSN MAX, J-type thermocouple and node serach time issues

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi Dear all,

I am using WSN starter kit, i am able to work on it fine but have some issues and need you guys intelligent look into those.

1. Once i installed WSN 1.2 module poineer software, i am unable to see remote system tab in the tree of MAX, only My system tab is shown. Although i am able to see it in my lvproject and develop and use its application successfully.

2. The J-type thermocouple that came along, once i attached to TC0+ and TC- of node WSN- 212 as per documentations, then in Labview VI, i see in temperature value some ambigous values like -273.56 and those change to -244.67 like once i touch its tip. My node is default set to J-type and Celcius temp range, in right click property tab.

3. How long the nodes will search for gateway once its outof range of gateway or i power off gateway? i experimented that its LEDs seraches for about 1 min then sleeps for 1 min initially, then sleep time increases. i monitored this for 3-4 hours but after 7-8 hours i could not see any LED flash for gateway search. Then i needed to push button on node then i starts seraching again.

Kindly help me on these issues. More will be coming once i will probe deeper into system.

Thanks & Best Regards

awais qureshi

+923005178180

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(7,183 Views)

Hi Awais,

As seen in Why Won't My WSN Node Connect to the Network?  After failing to join a network, an end node will sleep before trying to reconnect. This is done to help conserve power. The node will sleep an increased amount of time between failed attempts. The nodes use the Fibonacci sequence (1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55) to determine wait times. The nodes can wait up to 55 minutes between connection attempts. As result the end node may simply be asleep and may not be actively trying to join the network. To force joining attempts from the node, either hold down the Communication Button on the node for at least 5 seconds or press the Reset button.

What version of the WSN Drivers do you have (not the WSN Pioneer Module)?  Do any thermocouples read properly or are they all exhibiting this behavior?

Scott A
SSP Product Manager
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(7,177 Views)

Thanks alot Dear Scott,

Regarding My 3rd Pt. i was also able to search this knowledgebase link and was satisfied then.

Regarding My 2nd Pt. we are shipped with 02 same J-type thermocouple but both behave the same way. I also connected between TC1+ and TC1-, taking care of polarities but same behaviour repeated. Do we need to set some other settings for thermocouple node, what and where? Do we need to set its reference temperature somewhere?

I checked WSN driver version in control panel in NI installed softwares its 1.2.1, as i downloaded new WSN 1.2.1 WSN module poineer and installed it. It also updated MAX to 4.7.7 version. But the issue is that i am unable to see the Remote System tab in MAX tree, as i highlighted before as well. I am using Laptop with Visat operating system, Is it something related with using laptop instead of PC?

Thanks & Regards

awais qureshi

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(7,171 Views)

Dear Scott,

I am also able to resolve J-type thermocouple detection, actually i needed to set CJC source to 25C, although room temp is 32C. Then i could read the almost good values.

Why default internal CJC did not work for me, what i have to do for its internal CJC values utilization. What equation is used for this prupose, along with required constants values? As for 25C CLC value, its 8C error presently in lab.

Max Remote system issue still holds.

Thanks & Regards

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(7,168 Views)

What version of MAX do you currently have?

Have you been able to try these nodes out with any other thermocouples?

Scott A
SSP Product Manager
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(7,160 Views)
Dear scott, i have MAX 4.7.7, alongwith LV2010. No, i have two same J-type thermocouple which were shipped alongwith WSN starter kit. But as i mentioned before Intrnal CJC is not working for it. Only once i set that to 25C then something feels good. Thansk&Regards awais qureshi
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(7,154 Views)

Hello Awais, 

Thanks for your posts to our forum!

I hopped that you would have been notified by your local NI sales representative by now so my appologies that you are having to find out on the forums. We had an issue that caused a few of our nodes to leave manufacturing with default calibration constants for the internal CJC channel. This is why you do not read correctly when the CJC is set to "internal CJC" and you read close to the actual temp when its set to a constant 25 C. All you have to do is send in your node to NI through the normal RMA process and we will repair it free of charge. 

My appologies that this product made it to you. We noticed the issue right away but a few unit made it through. We have updated our test procedures and manufacturing to make sure that something like this does not happen again.

Thanks for your time Awais and let us know if you have any other questions.

Corby

WSN R & D Product Support Engineer 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(7,147 Views)

Thanks alot Dear Corby,

I did not receive any reply from Local NI rep. But i have emailed them your sent info alongwith my queries.

Best Regards

awais qureshi

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(7,139 Views)

hi,

just one question here?? is the MAX 4.7.7 the latest version to-date??

thanks

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(7,129 Views)

Yes, 

MAX 4.7.7 is the latest version that ships with NI-WSN 1.2.1. We will be releasing NI-WSN 1.3 soon that will have MAX 5.0

MAX is also shipped with every NI driver so you could have a higher version if install another driver, like NI-DAQmx for instance. 

Corby

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(7,125 Views)