From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Wireless Sensor Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WSN 3202: increase sensor power delay before reading?

Solved!
Go to solution

It does look like some of the functionality of radio messages was replaced with the I/O variable when programming the WSN-3226. Your code does seem correct. 

How is it that you're determining the power is always on, and how fast did you set the sample rate?

The power supply in the WSN-3226 does have a capacitor in it, which could take some time to dissipate without a load, thus making the sensor power appear to be on when it isn't.

As an alternate route, I wonder if you could also use the DIO of the WSN instead of the sensor power line.   

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
CLD Certified
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 15
(2,777 Views)

Hi,

Thank you for considering my problem.

I want to power up a relay (CR624-5) that will permit to power a tiltmeter (Tufftilt 801) from an external power source. This relay have a led to indicate that it is powered up. I also check with a voltmeter. I tried different sample rates as I had a doubt that it may be the problem, but up to 1 minutes it doesn't seems to change anything.

I'm not familiar with DIO, is there some exemples that could put me on the right track ?

Thank you

Mathieu

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 15
(2,774 Views)

You should see the DIO variable in your project tree just as you see your AIO variables. You can drag them over to your code and write to them with normal I/O variable functionality. They differ from the AIO as they use the Boolean data type. 

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
CLD Certified
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 15
(2,768 Views)

HI,

I managed to get it sort-of working. I first tried to write to the shared variable DIO, but it didn't worked. So I replaced the share variable with the elemental I/O in write mode. With this configuration, I had to put the DIO in Drive High mode, so I need an external power source both for the node and for my sensors. At first I tought that since my sensors worked on 12V I can connect them directly in the DIO output and that they would be powered by the external source connect to the node, but it didn't worked, so my external power is connected to the node and pass through a relay to power up my sensor, that's a lot of wire for a wireless system... It seems that the current is not high enough for the sensors but ok for the relay.

If someone have another way, or others ideas to simplify my system, I'm open to suggestions.

Thank you

Mathieu

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 15
(2,762 Views)

Hey Mathieu,

Glad you got the DIO working. We discussed earlier that your tuff tilt has in inrush current of over 50mA (closer to the 60mA range) which is more than the sensor power of the WSN-3226 can provide. It appears your CR624-5 relay requires less current to be triggered than the capacitor in the tuff tilt requires to be saturated.

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
CLD Certified
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 15
(2,751 Views)