Wireless Sensor Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using WSN for accelerometer sensor

Hi,

I plan using the WSN for accelerometer sensor, however I cannot find the Node using for this purpose.

I wonder if the WSN can use for acclerometer or not ?

Thanks a lot

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(7,996 Views)

Thank you for your post.  You can use the voltage or the voltage-ohm nodes with process current resistors to measure overall vibrarion from IMI-Sensors or Wilcoxon.  I have attached a brief summary of the components of a system with links to sensors, recommended WSN nodes, and LabVIEW programming tools. 

Preston Johnson
Solutions Manager, Industrial IoT: Condition Monitoring and Predictive Analytics
cbt
512 431 2371
preston.johnson@cbtechinc
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(7,989 Views)

Thank you,

I will try this way.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(7,980 Views)

Hi Preston,

The sensor in your summary is velocity sensor, not accelerometer sensor.

Now in our Lab, we use the accelerometer sensor such as link below

http://www.imi-sensors.com/Industrial_Accelerometers/Low-Cost_for_Permanent_Installation/Low-cost_2-...

The output of the sensor is voltage, not current. So, whether can I connect this accelerometer sensor to the node WSN 3226 ?, and do I need any special connector ... ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(7,975 Views)

The accelerometer you reference is a high bandwidth accelerometer and will require much higher sampling rate than available with the WSN product line.  You may want to consider a low cost CompactRIO system with a wireless gateway of sorts.  Consider the brief overview in the attached pdf. 

Preston Johnson
Solutions Manager, Industrial IoT: Condition Monitoring and Predictive Analytics
cbt
512 431 2371
preston.johnson@cbtechinc
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(7,962 Views)

Dear sir,

I am also searching the node which will be best suited to take the acceleration data from the accelerometer sensor. The sensor i am using is http://www.pcb.com/Products.aspx?m=393B12 .

so please tell me that which node is suitable for connecting accelerometer. i am having all the nodes that NI is offering NI-3202(volatge),3212(thermocoule input),3226(RTD),3230(RS-232),3231(RS-485),3214(STRAIN GAUGE). basically my plan is to use NI-3214 strain gauge node as its sampling rate is very high about 862S/s for single channel is my approach is right or suggest me so that so that i can do better. i will be thankful to you

Regards,

Abhinav Sharma

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(7,187 Views)

Hi Abh,

The WSN nodes cannot meet the sample rate requirements of your sensor. I would suggest you to look at the wireless CompactDAQ platform or CompactRIO as an alternative. There are some nodes specific for accelerometers as the NI 9234 that meet the sensor requirements and provide built-in signal conditioning. Are you looking to have built-in processing in the unit or just data acquisition?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(7,161 Views)

Hi amezam,

Actually i am looking for built -in processing like FFT calculation after data acquisition on the node, but no such node is available. My application is Structural health monitoring of buildings using wireless sensor networks so we purchased NI-WSN kit for that purpose. Yea i am looking for other options as well now but the thing is we want to work on the low power mode and that o zigbee protocol. Thanks for the reply by the way.Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(7,156 Views)

Hi Abh,

The programmable WSN-3214 would be ideal for the application if the sensor was a bridge-based one and had a smaller sample rate. I would still encourage you to take a look at the cRIO platform, where can you use different C-series modules (acceleration, temperature, etc..) and have built-in processing, either in the Real-Time controller or FPGA chassis. Besides the built-in processing, you can also log data and store it in the controller. There’s an option to have low power consumption in cRIO as well. 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(7,145 Views)

Hello,

Ya i understand but the thing is we are stick to WSN nodes and gateways only, because it is mentioned in the project deliverables.

One thing more i would like to ask you is can we do FFT on the node 3202 itself, is that node is having such capabilities or not. I just want to do FFT because to convert the data from time domain to frequency domain on the node itsef and then i will transmit the data(in frequency domain) from the node.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(7,137 Views)