cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to LV 2012

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi everybody,

I have several wsn-9792 deployed on the field and they were all programmed using LV 2011. I would like to upgrade my LV to 2012 but I wanted to know if I will have to upgrade all my gateways and nodes to 1.4 in order to use them with LV 2012. It would be very time consuming and I will lose some data during the process. Moreover, those gateways are far away from my office and all the process would be made through a cellular connection.

Thank you

Matt

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(8,014 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author MaLac

If you want to reprogram the nodes or the gateways using LV 2012, then yes you will have to upgrade the gateways and nodes. If you simply want to get data from the nodes you can use low level psp variable calls like in this example.  If you can give more detail on how you plan on interacting with the 9792/wsn nodes I can give you a better answer on what you would need to do. 

Cheers,

Brian A

R & D Product Support Engineer | WSN/Network DAQ/Academic

National Instruments 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(8,003 Views)

Hi Brian,

I updated to LV 2012, worst error I've done since a while...

First, it take many hours to install.

After that, I opened a project and I tried to connect to a Gateway on a remote location, which is connected to Internet with a cellular modem.

The system told me that it can't connect because the driver version of the gateway is not the same as the one in the host computer. Frankly, this is ridiculous, why can't you make it backward compatible ?

I opened MAX and installed the new software to the gateway, it took more than an hour and even if it says that it was installed successfully, MAX told that it was incorrect and jammed. I managed to format it and reinstalled the software.

Evidently, all the configuration was gone, so I added the node manually... But the nodes can't connect to the gateway, they have to be resetted. But they are in a remote location... So, a lot of data lost, a lot of time lost.

I have systems deployed over many regions of the Province of Quebec, the nodes are placed over highways, it would cost thousands to go there and reset them.

Fortunately, the first gateway I updated is the most accessible, so I will be able to go there and reset the nodes, but all the other projects are not accessible, and they are supposed to be there for many years, we planned to go change the battery every 2-3 years. Does this mean that I will be stuck with LV 2011 for the next 10 years just to be able to connect with my systems ?

I already paid for LV 2012 and it will be useless...

I hope that it exist a solution.

Thank you

Mathieu

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(7,981 Views)

Just to add some more pain in my day, the project that I opened in LV 2012, even if I didn't save it, can no longer be open in LV 2011. Bravo !!

Mathieu

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(7,975 Views)

Hi Mathieu,

I suggest calling in to our Application Engineering Department to get some immediate help over the phone with all these issues. The number is 1-800-275-6964.

I am truly sorry you are having such a difficult time trying to upgrade the system. Because the Real-Time OS is bound to a particular version of LabVIEW, you cannot add it to a project in another version of LabVIEW without installing the correct version of Real-Time OS. 

Formatting the gateway clears all software/data/settings from the hardware so you can start from scratch. Make sure that the radio channel is the same as before and also re-add the nodes to the gateway in MAX or through the web interface. Once they are re-added to the configuration they should region the WSN network. 

You should be able to at least "save to a previous version" for the LabVIEW project.

Yes, if you do not want to upgrade software on the gateways you will want to stick with a particular version of LabVIEW

I am sure your NI area representative can work with you on getting a refund for the software since it seams you will not be able to use it for your particular application. 

Cheers,

Brian A

R & D Product Support Engineer | WSN/Network DAQ/Academic

National Instruments 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(7,962 Views)

Hi everybody,

Firstly I want to apologize for the tone of my previous post, I was upset because I lost two days of work and some data.

I wanted to make a follow up in case it could help someone else.

First, it seems that updating the firmware of the gateway through a cellular connection is not practical. It took hours and crash 2 out of 3 times.

So, I manage to update one of my system to WSN 1.4 and use it with LV2012,

The first thing I did was to update the nodes to 1.4. I did that from my office through the cellular connection. That works well. It seems that the nodes can be in version 1.4 and they work well with the gateway still in 1.3.

I took note of the radio channel and save the config (.wsn)

I saved all the data that was on the gateway.

After that, I formatted the gateway and tried to install the software, but it crashed and I was not able to connect to the gateway anymore.

So, I went to the gateway and connect it directly to my laptop with the Ethernet cable.

I reformatted and installed the software, it took about 10 minutes for all the process.

After that, in the web interface, I adjust the hour, reset the password, set the radio channel to the one I took note of, and add the nodes with the .wsn file. The nodes were found in a couples minutes.

I opened my project in LV2012, I rebuild my real-time application and set it to run at startup.

I rebooted the gateway.

I plugged the gateway into the cellular modem and reboot the gateway again so it can take it's new IP address.

For the moment it seems to work.

The web interface since version 1.4 is different and seems to offer more options, I will look into it later.

In conclusion, I will have to go update my gateways in person, but at least I won't have to reach every nodes.

Mathieu

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(7,935 Views)

Hi Brian, and everyone.

I just received LV2012 SP1.

Should-I install it ? Does the 1.4 version of WSN is compatible with LV2012 SP1 ?

Thank you

Mathieu

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(7,846 Views)

Hi Mathieu,

NI-WSN 1.4 has not been fully tested with the 2012 SP1 release of LabVIEW so is therefore unsupported. Although, most likely, it will install and work fine. 

We will be adding support for 2012 SP1 in the next release of NI-WSN 

Cheers,

Brian A

R & D Product Support Engineer | WSN/Network DAQ/Academic

National Instruments 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(7,836 Views)