Western PA LabVIEW Users

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tired of boring SubVI Icons? The NI icon library is here to help!

Everyone,

Yesterday I was reviewing some of my past example code, and I realized just how boring my SubVI icons were. This article is about the NI Icon Library, available here: http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/6453

How many of you have a majority of SubVI Icons that look like this:

Boring Icon 1.PNG

"Evocative.."

Or like this:

boring icon 2.PNG

"Utility in Green No. 7"

Or worse:

boring icon 3.PNG

"You're not even trying.."

Well, I'm here to talk about the importance if snazzy looking icons for your SubVIs.

Before putting down that generic and boring icon for your next SubVI, consider the following:

1. SubVI Icons with words may not make sense to every single developer. This is especially true for local vernacular, for example "Close Yins Files". If the developer isn't from Pittsburgh, they'll have a really tough time understanding what Yins means.

2. Icons with pictures just look better!

The NI Icon library is here to help. With over 18 pages of graphics primitives, and atomic elements (not the physics kind), you will almost surely be able to find the picture you're looking for. You can find the NI Icon Library by googling "NI Icon Library", or you can go here: http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/6453

Here are some tips for you when using the icon library:

1. You can download the full library as a .ZIP with a separate .PNG for each icon

2. You can simply take a screen capture of the library one page at a time, and use MS Paint to cut and paste the individual elements into your SubVI Icons.

I was able to create these stylish icons in about 60 seconds each:

good icon 1.PNG

good icon 2.PNG

So don't be afraid to spend an extra few minutes on your SubVI Icons. You won't regret it, and let's face it - even in the world of engineering, looks matter

-Evan

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(9,970 Views)

Hi EvanR.

I have donwload the zip file, but I can I integrate the same in the NI-Icon Library.

Please guide me.

Thanks

Pankaj

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(4,808 Views)