Western NY LabVIEW User Group

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to architect modular VIs that support re-use in several top-level VIs

I'd really like to get a small group together and discuss how to architect modular LabVIEW VIs. Examples of modular VIs are: DAQ In, DAQ Out, Camera, Robot1, Robot2, Power Supply, Signal Generator, Serial Port, etc.)

What are some ways to handle commands, messaging and synchronization between the modules, and between the module and the UI? I will share my own experiences here.

What are the pros and cons of each way?

Let me know if you're interested.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(12,332 Views)

Like unto a User group meeting with a topic of the month... Daytime face to face events are out for us in Syracuse. Perhaps a virtual net-meeting on or near a lunch hour could work.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(10,388 Views)

I agree with Paul, a virtual meet up is probably going to be good. Although, could this be something to get together on the next developer day?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(10,388 Views)

Viewpoint can contribute as well as host a GoTo meeting if you want to start with a virtual meeting first.

Stu
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(10,388 Views)

Hello everyone,

My name is Matt Cate and I work at NI. I work very closely with a lot of our user groups across the U.S. I've been following this thread today and was curious if there was any interest in piloting out this meeting experience using Google Plus Hangouts. If you're not familiar with it, it supplies live video and audio conferencing with screen sharing, collaborative documentation -- plus, it's free. I can help facilitate the experience in addition to getting some LabVIEW team participation. It would require all interested parties to establish a Google+ account, but the plus would be that once you create your LabVIEW network, or circle... you can actually hangouot at both scheduled and unscheduled times to share ideas or ask for advice. Please let me know if you have any interest in trying this technology. 

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(10,388 Views)

Matt,

If this goes to Google+, I, for one, will not be participating. I had a "+" account and find it much more intrusive then even facebook. If there any other possibilities?

Thanks,

Drew

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(10,388 Views)

Drew,

We're certainly not seeking to alienate anyone, so I greatly appreciate your feedback about Google +. In some areas, we've seen user communities struggle to meet due to time or geography. We're constantly exploring Web-based options. Google + has some merit, but we're still learning... hence, the "pilot" suggestion. It has a 9-member Hangout limitation as well, which may not work for many of the existing groups. 

The aforemention Go-To Meeting is still a good choice. Similar to that experiece, I've facilitated remote presentations to user groups from NI R&D and LabVIEW Product Managers this past year. We broadcast presentations and demos from the Adobe platform that we use in-house. It offers VOIP as well, but we set up a conference call instead for an interactive discussion. They've received good feedback.

If the Go-To Meeting is the best option here and you have any interest in someone from NI participating, then please let me know. I can certainly help to set that up.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(10,388 Views)

Matt,

Thanks. My company has a GoToMeeting account and it is indeed very useful for conducting group conferences. I'm not sure what the limit is for our account, I know the trial version is limited to 15 participants.

Drew

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(10,388 Views)

I would be interested in following along with the discussion. If possible, I will participate. I have no problem with Google+, but my availablility is based more on my schedule than the software.

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(10,388 Views)