Volume License Manager and Automated Software Installation

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What permissions need to be set to allow nivlm to run as a restricted user

What permissions or flags need to be set to allow Volume License Manager to run as a restricted user, ie not administrator on a windows server? Running all disconnected licenses if it matters. Version 2.1.1 of license manager.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(13,736 Views)

Could you provide a little more explanation of what you are trying to do? Are you wanting to restrict your disconnected licenses to certain users or are you wanting to limit access to VLM? A little more information would be helpful.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(13,726 Views)
Sorry, I have VLM installed on windows 2003 server. The person who is the license administrator can not have admin rights to the server but needs to be able to run VLM and create disconnected licenses. I am looking for what privileges do I need to give to her account, and/or what flags/options do I need to set in VLM to allow it.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(13,714 Views)

Unfortunately, you must be an administrator to use VLM. A Corrective Action Request has been submitted to R&D to get this changed.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(13,706 Views)

Has such an corrective action taken place for VLM 3.0? I tried to run VLM 3.0 using an account with no administrator rights and received the message that "the correct logon type" was not detected.

Regards

Peter

Message 5 of 9
(11,120 Views)

Has this issue been fixed yet?????

Message 6 of 9
(10,896 Views)

Hello,

To run VLM, you need to be able to do certain things such as start a server on a TCP port. This most likely will require administrative privileges and is something that is out of our influence in future releases of VLM. All I can suggest is that you need to speak with an IT manager to see if they can give you the appropriate privileges or just create an administrator account and log in as admin.

Jacob R. | Applications Engineer | National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(10,881 Views)

Hello, I need to jump in here.
This is annoying. A license manager should not require administrators permissions to start the GUI to make reports or check the license usage.

To start a service may be (but not really).

At least in bigger companies those license services run on central servers and those have restrictions.

Please give your customers more control over your product, and not need to ask them the IT admins all the time.

Please make this "You are not Admin" message as a warning only and leave it to your customers and their admins how to go from there.
Or make this as an option, in an INI file ore provide a modified EXE to "special customers" if you are too affraid.

This request is a really urgent!  Security has big priority in some aereas (watch the news).

Thanks

Muese 

Message 8 of 9
(7,500 Views)

I can live with that - being admin on the server in question - but is it possible to give a list of permissions required to run the nivlm GUI as a non-administrative user?

Nevertheless, I also would prefer to be able to run the GUI without additional permissions, only requiring these to actually start the license service.

Best regards

Peter

Message 9 of 9
(7,455 Views)