Volume License Manager and Automated Software Installation

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VLM -- Testers checking out debug licenses instead of deployment.

Solved!
Go to solution

We currently use  VLM 3.1 with a limited number of debug licenses and a large number of deploy licenses.  Some of our testers seem to insist on pulling debug licenses even when running through the operator interface logged in as operator.  Both switch executive 3.0 and teststand 3.5 seem to be guilty of this.  Currently the VLM is setup based on computer, not user.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(8,928 Views)

Hey Bob73

If you're using computer based licenses then you should be able to create groups in VLM 3.1 for both your test machines and your development machines.  You can assign each group specific licenses that they can access.  If you assign your test machines to only access your deploy licenses and you assign your development machines to only access your debug licenses, you shouldn't run into this problem.

Taylor
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(8,899 Views)

Makes sense, however it isn't uncommon to fire up sequence editor in administrator mode when troubleshooting a tester issue.  Is there any way to make the license checkout follow the NI user (administrator vs operator) or would it have to follow the windows user?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(8,891 Views)

Maxwell,

Thanks for your reply.  I tried setting up the groups, however our debug licenses are unmanaged concurrent.  Our deployment licenses are computer based.  This seems to throw a wrench in the works when trying to go the group route.  Any other thoughts?

Thanks

Bob

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(8,886 Views)

Hey Bob73

To answer your previous post, the License Manager looks at the Windows User Name and there wouldn't be a way for it to look at the TestStand administrator/operator user profile.

If you have your licenses as unmanaged then as you mentioned, you won't be able to create groups with them.  You could change your license file to be managed by emailing agreements@ni.com. That would allow you to have managed licenses that you could then put into groups.

Taylor
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(8,863 Views)

Ok, that's probably the solution.  Just for my own curiosity, in a situation such as what I described with computer based deploy licenses and  unmanaged debug, what criteria does teststand use when pulling licenses?  Some of our testers are well behaved and pull deploy licenses as intended and some insist on pulling debug.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(8,848 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bob73

Hey Bob73

I was doing a little more research into what's been going on with your deployment/debug licenses.  I was able to come across some good information as to why this is happening.  We have an internal document that states that this is a known issue in TestStand 3.5.  It has to do with the TestStand 3.5 Operator Interface correctly attempting to check out the TestStand_InstEngine in the Base Deployment Package license, but then incorrectly attempts to check out a feature available in the TS Debug Deployment License.

This will only occur if one of these conditions is met:

• The VLA has Unmanaged Concurrent Licenses for debug. 
  • The computer/user attempting to checkout the license has permissions for a concurrent license with the deploy option.

In order to resolve this issue will need to create a service request. 

Sorry I didn't connect the dots earlier.

Taylor
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(8,827 Views)

Thank you.  I'll mark this as answered and we will move forward with the service request.  I'm assuming we'll have to move away from the unmanaged concurrent debug license?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(8,817 Views)