Volume License Manager and Automated Software Installation

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VLM Server doesn't seem to start

VLM and the associated license successfully installed on the server, but the licenses are not being served to clients.  VLM shows "Total Licenses: 1" and "Licenses in Use: 0 of 1".  No error messages or log files are being generated, even though Usage Log is enabled.  We are running in "unmanaged concurrent" mode, so I shouldn't have to enumerate users or computers, right?  Client license manager application shows red "X" through license server IP address.  We do have multiple license servers for other products running on this server (including flexlm).
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(10,706 Views)

The NILM License Manager is definitely refusing to start.  Under Win2K Server, using the services administration panel (MMC), NILM License Manager shows a startup type as "Automatic" (which is correct), but the status is "Stopped".  When I manually start the service, the error message returned is: Could not start the NILM License Manager Service on Local Computer.  The service did not return an error. This could be an internal Windows error or an internal service error.  If the problem persists, contact your system administrator."  Which is not funny at all, since I am the sysadmin.

So what's up with that?

Message Edited by ayeckley on 07-15-2009 09:29 AM
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(10,705 Views)

Couldn't afford to wait any longer for a response, so got a call # issued.  Turns out port 27000 was in use by FlexLM (which is synonymous with FlexNet, apparently).  Switched to port 27001 (and had to point clients explicitly to that port as well - leaving it blank doesn't work) and the service is running properly now.  Any chance we could get a "port already in use" error message in the future?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(10,698 Views)

ayeckley,

Thanks for the feedback.  There has already been a request put into R&D to give better feedback when this problem occurs and they are looking into the possibility of including this in future versions of VLM.  Looks like you're not the only one that's had this problem before, so I imagine they're working on improving that.

Eric B.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(10,680 Views)

Hi 

I got the same problem with site license.
(windows 7 (home) + LabVIEW 2013fall)
The following seems it might work.

1) Go to the folder of 
C:\ProgramData\National Instruments\License Manager\Data

2) there are 2 files of “lmgrd.log” and “servers.ini”, in my case.
3) Replace it from the folder to, for example, desktop.

4) run the license manager again.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(7,869 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(7,868 Views)

Hi Takuizk,

Were you able to resolve the issue with that KB you have included?

If not are you able to ping the server and client computers and vice versa? When you put in netstat in command window, is the port in license file being used by the NI VLM?

Let me know.

National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(7,850 Views)

?........!

now I understand that I was mistaken.
I should post it to the other page.
it doesnt make sence in this page. 

Sorry for confusing you.

takuizk