Volume License Manager and Automated Software Installation

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VLM 3.1 on Windows Server 2012 R2

Looking at the supported operating systems for VLM 3.1 I see Windows Server 2012 R2 is not on the list.  Will VLM 3.1.1 run on Windows Server 2012 R2?  

We are in need of replacing our license server and my IT team is asking what OS I need.  I can use 2008 R2, but if this will run on 2012 R2, it would be preferred.

Thanks

Troy

Troy
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(9,439 Views)

You are correct, VLM 3.1 is not supported by Windows Server 2012 R2. However, 2008 R2 is supported. If you have acces to 2008, this is the course you should take. 

Regards,

Samuel S.

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

www.ni.com/support

(866) 275-6964

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(9,426 Views)

R2 has been out for well over 2 years.  When do you think they will get around to testing the VLM on it?  We can't keep using out of date operating systems.

WD

Message 3 of 9
(7,989 Views)

I'll echo the most recent posting. We need VLM on Windows Server 2012. My company is refreshing all Windows Server 2008 systems.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(6,661 Views)

Good Afternoon @Tillman,

Unfortunately, information about future release dates is not publically available. At this time, R&D has not made any statements about potential dates of extended support for Windows Server 2012 yet. I wish I could do more to get you a definitive answer, however no information has been released yet pertaining to future product/support release dates with VLM on Windows Server 2012.

Kind Regards,

Weston S.

Applications Engineering

National Instruments 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(6,647 Views)

Despite VLM not being supported on Windows Server 2012, do you see any impediment that would prevent it from running on that platform? Has anyone at NI tried it?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(6,637 Views)

I took it upon myself to install VLM 3.1 on a WIndows Server 2012 R2 system, requested a test license file from NI (which was sent immediately), then tested running the VLM on that server. It operated exactly as it should, handing out licenses when requested. The only difference between how VLM runs on Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows Server 2012 R2 is that whenever I opened the VLM UI, the WIndows UAC asked me if I wanted to allow VLM to make changes on the system. Since I don't need to run the UI very often, this isn't a show-stopper.

So the conclusion is that, indeed VLM 3.1 does work properly on Windows Server 2012 R2.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(6,593 Views)

The show stopper will be if you start to have problems and you contact NI support they will ask you which OS you are running on then they will tell you they can't help you because you are running on an unsupported OS.

The VLM is supported on Server 2012 but not on 2012 R2.   R2 has been out for almost 3.5 years and it is ludicrous that it is not yet supported.   My organization will soon start rolling over to Server 2016.

WD

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(6,589 Views)

Folks,

The official NI site indicates that VLM 3.1 is supported under Windows Server 2012 R2 64-bit:

http://www.ni.com/download/ni-volume-license-manager-3.1/4023/en/

Just scroll to the bottom of the page to confirm.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(6,506 Views)