From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Volume License Manager and Automated Software Installation

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User with temporary license wants to convert to volume license

I have user that installed NI tools on a system for evaluation and used the 30-day evaulation license for the software.  That same user is also licensed for those tools on a VLM that I manage and would like to convert that system from the evaluation license to his VLM license.  Is it possible to do that without reinstalling?  I have all of the VLM installer created to reinstall, but the user would rather not spend the hours needed to reinstall all of the tools.  Is there a way to make the License Manager on the system point to the VLM server?

Thanks,
Dennis Sauer

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(6,205 Views)

Hello,

You do not need to reinstall the software to license it. I have a couple of ideas. First, you or the user could manually set up the local NI License Manager to point to the volume license server. The steps are fairly simple, you just need to know the name of the server and the main licensing port. You can see the main licensing port in VLM by going Tools > Preferences. In the General category, there will be Server Settings where the main licensing port is listed. The default is 27000. Here is a KnowledgeBase article with the steps to set up the client machine to point to the server: Setting up Access to a Volume License Server from the Client Machine

I think setting it up manually would be the easiest option, but there is a second option. Since you've made a volume license installer (VLI), running the vlmclient.exe should actually automatically set up the server connection on the local/client computer. I haven't tried this myself before, but it should work. For more information about that, take a look at this page in the VLM Help: Configuring Client Machines Automatically

Hope this helps,

Taylor B.
National Instruments
Message 2 of 2
(6,195 Views)