From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Volume License Manager and Automated Software Installation

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Silent Install of LabView Fall 2013 Academic License

Hello All,

I am trying to create a silent installer for LabView but I am noticing that it isn't installing all of the products we are licensed for.  The install files are split across 4 disks, which is what I thought the problems was, so I put them all in one folder but this has resulted in the same problem of not all the products being installed.

I created a setup file using the /generatespecfile switch with the setup.exe program and then installed with the following switches /q /acceptlicenses yes /r:n /confirmCriticalWarnings /disableNotificationCheck  

I was talking with an engineer before, but apperenlty our service contract ran, and he and I came to the conclusion that it was only installing the media of the first disk.  

Have any of you seen this issue before?  Do you have a solution?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(8,923 Views)

Hi,

When you use the listed switches for installing are you also including the path to the specfile? Additionally when you create the specfile do you see all of the products listed when you are choosing what to install? Could you also list a few of what products are not installed?

Evan See
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(8,900 Views)

Even,

Thanks for getting back to me.  I am including the path to the directory where the specfile is (the full path with the name and extention would always give me a syntax error and the "Correct syntax" box would pop up).  I am actually not too familliar with how to tell you which products are not being installed since they are not very specific in thier install folders.  I am attaching a screen shot of the startup splash screen from 2012 SP1 (full install) and the new splash screen from 2013 (incomplete install).

Thanks!

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(8,885 Views)

Hi,

I wanted to confirm with you that you are working on this issue with Nick A. via email (which will be a more efficient communication method). Additionally, if you go to Start > All Programs > National Instruments > NI License Manager you can get a list of activated products, or you can use NI MAX for a list of installed products.

Evan See
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(8,865 Views)

Nick helped me solve this issue.  The solution ended up being renaming folders in the format ASLFL13DVD# (where number is replaced with the corresponding disk number).  

I was unable to communicate directly with Nick on the issue because at one point our SR was unavalible in the web portal so I sufficed with communicating through a third party who's email was registered with the account.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(8,857 Views)

Hi booter

I have the same problem. Can you please explain your solution a litte bit more detailed? Which folder should I rename exactly?

Thanks a lot

shamu

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(8,748 Views)

So we actually copy over all of the files to a network drive. Literally put the disk in the drive and copy all of the files over.

In this directory we were naming the folders DVD1 - DVD4 and each folder had the content of the corresponding disk.  By renaming the folders to ASLFL13DVD# (where number is replaced with the corresponding disk number) the silent install then worked.  I don't know if this is detailed enough for you or not.  If it isn't and you need more advice let me know.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(8,741 Views)

Yes, that's exactly what I'm looking for. I changed the folder names and it's running fine now.

Thanks a lot for you quick response and help.

I'm just wondering why this is not mentioned in the knowledge base at National Instruments. They describe the procedure how to generate and apply an answerfile, but this really important point is not described anywhere. Strange...

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(8,737 Views)

Yes I agree that it is vital information that they should have on thier webpage.  The NI software engineere that I spoke to said he was changing the documentation but I have no idea how long that would take to reach the public.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(8,728 Views)