From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Volume License Manager and Automated Software Installation

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI VLM API

Hello there,

I'm planning to write an application to monitor several test stations running TestStand (30+) and I was wondering if there is a way (API or something) to query the NI LVM for a list of stations with a registered license, both per station and per user.

Thanks for your help,

<<- N ->>

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(9,843 Views)

Hi N,

unfortunately, there is no exposed VLM API at this time, however you could query the options file nilm.opt, located in the VLM directory (default C:\Program Files\National Instruments\Volume License Manager\nilm.opt).  This file contains all of the assigned permissions and is ascii, so you could write a tool to parse through the entries and generate a list of users and computers with access to TestStand.

Message Edited by Al B on 04-14-2010 08:12 AM
Al B.
Staff Software Engineer - TestStand
CTA/CLD
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(9,825 Views)

Hi Al,

Thanks for your response, I'll try doing that on my application. A follow up question, are there any plans to have an API in future releases (NI VM3.X)?

Thanks again,

<<- N ->>

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(9,806 Views)

Hi N,

I don't believe there are any plans for this unfortunately.  I would like to look into this a bit more, however - I'll let you know if I find anything else!

Al B.
Staff Software Engineer - TestStand
CTA/CLD
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(9,794 Views)

Has there been any movement to create an API in the latest versions of VLM?  This discussion is older so I thought I'd check.

Thanks,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(7,136 Views)

Hi jigg,

Thanks for the question.  I would recommend starting a new forum post, as the followers of this post may no longer be active.  It doesn't look like there has been any movement towards introducing a VLM API to TestStand from NI's public documentation, but perhaps other community members would be able to provide more insight.

Andy G
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(7,121 Views)