Volume License Manager and Automated Software Installation

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to export User Fields from VLM 3.0

I haven't used VLM software since 2008 and am getting familiarized with VLM 3.0

After spending time to setup custom fields to collect data from users in multiple groups I am trying to access/export this information.

Can anyone provide details on where to find this information (filename?) or a method to export? Maybe to a spreadsheet file?

It is wonderful that NI allows us to setup 'required' Custom fields to collect additional data on users.

I expect (not really) there must be a way to access to information other than viewing it in the VLM UI.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

James

Tech Advisor - Automation
LabVIEW 5.0 - 2020
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(6,855 Views)

Hello James,

I think that the best way to export the data into a program like Excel is to copy all the entries in the users tab, or computers tab, and paste them into Excel.

Jacob R. | Applications Engineer | National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(6,848 Views)

Jacob,

If NI has saved this in a file that they will not allow Administrators to access, then changes need to be made for the next revision.

Forcing Administrators to add all of their Custom fields to the VLM display so they can copy/paste information to another program is bordering on ridiculous for a company who PRIMARY function is automation.

I hope VLM 3.1 has some significance improvements; it appears the usability has not improved for Administrators since the earliest versions.

Regards,

James

Tech Advisor - Automation
LabVIEW 5.0 - 2020
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(6,845 Views)

Hello James,

If you need to save data in order to have a backup of your custom fields and user information, you can create a Backup file from the File menu.

If you want access a file with the custom fields you created, you can find the xml files in the following folders:

Windows 7/Windows Vista C:\ProgramData\National Instruments\Volume License Manager\Import Utility\
Windows XP C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\National Instruments\Volume License Manager\Import Utility\

There is also more information about the Import Utility located in this folder in the NI VLM help.

Is this the functionality you are looking for?

Jacob R. | Applications Engineer | National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(6,838 Views)