Volume License Manager and Automated Software Installation

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Directory Structure

Solved!
Go to solution

I just created a network installer for Q4 Release.  We have Developers, Full, and Debug licenses.  The DVDs were copied to the VLM computer's harddrive.  When I created the Debug configuration, the Network Installer reported the the DVDs did not have to be modified and would copy them directly.  When the network installed was done, it did not create the directory structure similiar to what the help file below shows.

LabVIEW 8.0
\_SourceFiles
\Fourth Floor Engineering
\Client
vlmclient.exe
other files
setup.exe
\Applications Group
\Client
vlmclient.exe
other files
setup.exe

Figure 1. Network Installer Directory Structure

I would have expected

LabView 8.6

\Source Files

\Debug

\Client

vlmclient.exe

setup.exe

Only the \DISK1, \DISK2, \DISK3, \DISK4 were created.  The vlmclient.exe was not created.

Paul 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 18
(13,972 Views)

Hi Paul,

That figure in the Help shows the License Set structure. What file structure are you seeing? This KnowledgeBase article has a step-by-step walkthrough of how to create an installer using the Platform DVDs as well as a figure of the final directory structure.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 18
(13,960 Views)

The directory structure was

N:\Network Installers\DevSuiteQ3_2008  where N:\Network Installer was the "Parent Directory" and DevSuitQ3_2008 was the name of the product.

\Disk 1

\Disk 2

\DIsk 3

\Disk 4

\Disk 1 -4 appear to be copies of the DVDs, nothing more.

Paul 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 18
(13,951 Views)

When you were creating the VLI, did you get a popup message that said the source did not need modification? If you saw that popup, that means VLM was not pointed to a valid source file location, which will cause a direct copy of the files with no additions.

If you select a valid source location, you should not see that message and the Product Name field should automatically populate. If you are using the Dev Suite or Platform DVDs, you will need to follow the steps in the KnowledgeBase article I refered to in my previous post.

Here is an example of what copying the installer directory could look like if you just copy the LabVIEW 8.6 Platform DVD 1:

LabVIEW 8.6 Platform DVD 1\_SourceFiles

\(the _SourceFiles directory will contain a copy of DVD 1)

\LV PDS (License Set name)

\setup.exe

\Client

\vlmclient.exe (as well as some other vlm files)

On the client machine, you would want to run "setup.exe" to begin the installation.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 18
(13,949 Views)

I did get the popup message that the source did not need modification.  I pointed to a valid location where the DVD Disk1 was mounted.  All four DVDs where copied to a network location. 

N:\DevSuiteQ3_2008

\Disk1

\Disk2

\Disk3

\Disk4

Paul

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 18
(13,946 Views)

Paul,

I have a few things to request from you.

1) The first is what version of VLM are you using?

2) Could you provide a screenshot of the Create Volume License Installer on the page where you select the source directory, including the source directory you are using?

3) I would also like a screenshot of the contents of that source directory as well as a screenshot of the directory structure of the installer that was created.

Having all this information would be very helpful.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 18
(13,942 Views)

Corbin,

We are using VLM 2.1.

I have attached the screenshots.  You can see the error message and the result.  All it appears to have done was copy the /DISK1 DVD.

Also, why during the configuration do I need to enter a serial number?  Since I have a VLM, I don't get serial numbers anymore.  Isn't the whole purpose of the VLM is to do away with serial numbers?

Paul

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 18
(13,939 Views)

Ah, there is the problem.

Starting with LabVIEW 8.6, the installer structure completely changed for all our software products, including LabVIEW 8.6, toolkits, platform DVDs, DevSuite DVDs, etc. That is when we began using MetaSuite installers.

VLM 2.1 does not recognize MetaSuite, but VLM 2.1.1 does. To upgrade to VLM 2.1.1, click here.

As far as the serial number, it is just a way to keep track of software. Unfortunately you can not leave that field blank, but if you do not care, you can enter whatever serial number you want.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 18
(13,935 Views)

Corbin,

Got the same popup error message and it copy /DISK1 exactly like VLM 2.1 using VLM 2.1.1.

Also, is there a list of what NI products are on what DVD?  Like LabView is Disk1 and LabWindows is Disk2.

Paul

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 18
(13,933 Views)

Paul, I will continue looking into some possible reasons why you are seeing this error.

As for what is on each DVD, there is no specific list. Looking at the contents of the Distributions folder in the DVD is the best way. Here is a brief list of what is on each DVD though for both the newest release of the Dev Suite DVDs and the older version

DVD1:

LabVIEW 8.6

LabVIEW modules and toolkits

DVD2:

CVI 8.5.1 and toolkits

DAQmx Base

Measurement Studio

DVD3

DIAdem

TestStand

VBAI

Switch Executive