Volume License Manager and Automated Software Installation

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DiAdem not checking out license

Hi,

We have just bought a Volume licensed copy of DiAdem.  I've installed the License server (3.1) and one client (diadem 2017).  In the client license manager, it picks up the volume server successfully, I can make the license request and it then recognises that the user has a license available (the diadem product goes green in the network license section).

The problem is, that when I start DiAdem, it insists on running in evaluation mode.  How do I get it to use the volume license instead and check out a license?

Cheers,

Gethyn

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(6,140 Views)

Hi Gethyn,

I've come across this problem fairly frequently and it should be easily resolved.

It's usually caused by a conflict between the local licenses and the ones available through VLM. To resolve this, you'll need to move the local license for DIAdem (so DIAdem can't find it) and then DIAdem should start using the one provided over VLM.

The licence files are stored here (on a Windows 10 machine, it's probably similar for other versions):

C:\ProgramData\National Instruments\License Manager\Licenses

Simply cut the DIAdem license files and put them somewhere outside of the Licenses folder and then restart DIAdem. 

In addition to this, I would recommend contacting National Instruments Technical Support directly through calling your local NI office as you will have support included with your Volume License. (See details here - http://www.ni.com/contact-us/)

Best Regards, 

James

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(6,111 Views)

Hi James,

I have tried your suggestion, but unfortunately after moving the license files, I can no longer start DIAdem - I try to open it and nothing starts (with no error messages).  License manager still correctly recognises the network license is present.

Are there any logs recorded by DiAdem?

Cheers,

Gethyn

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(6,105 Views)

Did you move the licence files out of the License folder? I've managed to move mine without any issue to DIAdem. 

The license files shouldn't prevent DIAdem from launching so if this is the case, there may be another issue in the system and a reintall is advisable. 

Have you confirmed that the version of DIAdem you're trying license is a version contained within your VLM? 

Best Regards, 

James

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(6,092 Views)

Hi,

I'm facing the same problem with DIAdem as descibed above.

I've contacted my license administrator and we worked out that DIAdem isn't even contacting the license server in the first place whereas LabVIEW 2017 does (and checks out a license fine).

I've also deleted the local license files as described by James, but DIAdem fails to start completely.

Futhermore I've uninstalled all NI software and deleted all "National Instruments" folders and reg keys I could find and than reinstalled it, but without success.

Is there any solution to this problem jet?

Best regards,

Stefan

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(5,903 Views)

Hi,

We have resolved the issue (after some troubleshooting with NI).

We had to have the license files in the directory (otherwise diadem doesn't start), but our problem turned out to be the volume license file on the server, which claimed to be for 2017, but actually wasn't set up to activate 2017.

We only found this out by removing license manager 4.0 and installing 3.7 - which provided the error messages that we needed to determine what was happening.  We now know that the way to tell that license manager 4 is working correctly is that there will be a green icon on the product summary page - don't rely on the one in the network license page.

I hope that helps you resolve your issue.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(5,900 Views)