From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Volume License Manager and Automated Software Installation

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the license manager load the computer-based license first, instead of the user-based license?

Solved!
Go to solution

We have several machines in the lab with computer-based licenses on them and a number of techs with user-based licenses. When a tech needs to occassionally sign in as themselves, instead of the generic service account, the license manager attaches the machine to their user account. Not a problem until they try logging in to LabVIEW from their own PC again and they get the 14 day trial period notice.

Is there a way to have the license manager look for the computer license first instead of the user license?

Thanks for any help.

Joe

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(9,210 Views)

Hi Joe,

Are you currently using concurrent or non-concurrent types of seats?

Thanks!

Rick C.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(9,183 Views)

They are on a VLM. We no longer have a maintenance agreement though, so we are on LabVIEW 2012.

Each license is assigned to a computer or to a user. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(9,170 Views)

Hi Joe,

In Volume License Manager, you can see which licenses are currently in use and by whom by clicking the "Licenses" tab in the bottom left of the window, then choosing the "In Use" tab for whichever license you'd like to monitor. 

When a named-user logs into a named-computer, what type of change do you see in the In Use lists? What do you see when the named-user logs out of the named-computer? And finally, what do you see when the named-user logs back into their own computer?

Thanks!

Rick C.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(9,165 Views)

Sorry. I don't have access to the VLM for the machine in question, I do for all the ones in our labs though.  (We have two VLM's here. One for our lab environment (Lab-VLM) and one for everyone else (IT-VLM).)

On my machine I have a computer based license and I also hold a user based license. Both are on the IT-VLM. On my NI License Manager I can see me logged in on the computer based license. So that is what throws me as to why the other machine takes the user license over the computer license. 

Would it be that the computer-based license is a Full Developmet Sytem and the user logging in has a Professional Development System license?

Does the VLM go with the higher license quality?

I was hoping it might be a local option on the machine to change.  

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(9,160 Views)

Joe,

Something you can try is reordering the server information in the local NI License Manager. To do this, open NI License Manager on the local machine, then go to Options --> Preferences. In the "Use Volume License Servers", make sure the server information is in the order in which you'd like the machine to check the license (server1, server2, etc.). If you'd like the named-computer to choose a computer-based license first, be sure that is the first listed.

Thanks,

Rick C.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(9,156 Views)

We only have them pointing to one server. The VLM's are on different networks. (Keeps IT from loading updates without us knowing and ruining days worth of testing.)

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(9,153 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author NorthCountryJoe

Hi Joe,

In the license file hosted on the license server, you may be able to manually change the "sort" tag in the file to modify the order in which VLM checks out licenses. Licenses are checked out in descending order (2, then 3, then 4, etc.). Typically, your license file is set up in a default order, but in special cases such as this, it may be beneficial to alter the order. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Open the license file with a text editor (such as Notepad)

2. Search for the "sort" tag. For instance, the "VLM_Core" entry will have a sort tag value will appear as "sort=first". Do not alter this value. VLM_Core should always be first.

3. Change the sort tag value for the named-computer license to a value that is lower than the sort tag value for the named-user license. (e.g. "sort=2" for named-computer and "sort=3" for named-user). 

4. Save the file and reinstall the license. 

Let me know if you have any questions!

Rick C.
Message 8 of 9
(9,126 Views)

That will work.

It does indeed sort by license type (DevSuite-Pro-Full) and that is where the problem is happening. 

Thank you for your help.

Very much appreciated.

Joe

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(9,114 Views)