From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Volume License Manager and Automated Software Installation

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can VLM disconnect a user-based license?

Solved!
Go to solution
Currently, we are using Computer-based licenses for our products.  For some of our users that work disconnected, we eat up two licenses.  So we're contemplating switching to a user-based license schema for some our products.  I've found some documentation detailing how to disconnect a computer (http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/6202245633CF18328625712B00095F2E) .  How does disconnecting a user work? Is there a tutorial on that?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(9,371 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Richard.Morgan

Hey Richard,

"Disconnecting Users" is definitely possible within NI VLM.  While it is a simple and straightforward process, there is an extra step involved, since it's not the human (user) that is disconnecting from the network, it's a machine (computer).  As such, you must effectively generate a new Computer entry in NI VLM (that will ultimately be disconnected), associate that Computer with a particular User's permission set, and then then disconnect the Computer.

The following KnowledgeBase article details this process.

If I have Named-User Licenses, How Do I Create a Disconnected License File in NI Volume License Mana...

If this rounds out your concernrs regarding migrating some or all of your licenses to be user-based, feel free to contact our contracts group to make the switch by emailing agreements at ni.com.

Message Edited by DRock on 05-22-2009 01:39 PM
Derrick S.
Product Manager
NI DIAdem
National Instruments
Message 2 of 2
(9,362 Views)