Volume License Manager and Automated Software Installation

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatically find Device Drivers when installing from Volume License Installer

I have a VLA with several NI products (Dev Suite, LabVIEW Full, TestStand) and would like the Volume License Installers I created to automatically find the driver DVD directory.  I've read the article at http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/A67783E7861A0509862574DD008083CF but that wants me to make a copy of the Driver DVD in every installer, which is a waste of time and disk space.  Is there a way to point the different installers to the same directory?

Kelly Bersch
Certified LabVIEW Developer
Kudos are always welcome
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(7,735 Views)

You can put the contents of the DVD in a network shared folder and direct the VLI to that folder.

Jason H
Automated Test Software R&D
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(7,700 Views)

I have a folder called DriverDVD in the same root folder as the folders containing the VLIs for the products.  What I can't figure out is HOW to point the VLI to that folder.

Kelly Bersch
Kudos are always welcome
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(7,698 Views)

So, you are trying to build a separate VLI for each product? You could build a single VLI (DevSuite) and allow the users permissions to determine what software they get. 

Jason H
Automated Test Software R&D
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(7,683 Views)

We need to have a seperate VLI for each product.  Not everyone is conversant as to which products to select so it's better to simply supply the path to the installer for what they are supposed to have.

Kelly Bersch
Kudos are always welcome
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(7,681 Views)

Kelly,

In most scenarios, when a client runs a Volume License Installer, the correct products are automatically selected to install based on the client's permissions in NI VLM. This may allow you to create a single Volume License Installer, even if some end users do not know which products they need.

For more information, see the "Creating One Volume License Installer per Media" item in the Best Practices section.

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370967F-01/nivlm/vli_intro/#best

It is possible that this is not a viable solution for your organization/scenario, but I wanted to be sure you were aware of this functionality, as it is much quicker if you only have to create one Volume License Installer.

--Matt

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(7,670 Views)