cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
varga.sm

Option to not generate default columns in data logging

VBAI

Option to exclude “default” columns for data logging step

The current data logging step includes many colums of default data which very often gets deleted when sharing data with others.   It's great having the data by default but is undesired in many roll out installations.

4 Comments
Jeff_Spaulding

I agree this would really be handy because in almost every case I'm post-processing images and don't care when the analysis was run because the images were taken sometimes weeks before that.  I only care about when the imags were taken.  So what I would really like is the option to turn off unwanted, extraneous, rows and columns.  I need my data file to have one header row, and then rows of data.  Then it can be used immediately in programs such as Excel, Spotfire, JMP, etc.

Specifically, I don't want to see the first five rows and the first five columns.  I do need to have one header row with explanatory data names but often the default "Result Name" in the VBAI logged file is a little esoteric, something like "Edge [1].Point1 XPostioin (Pixel)".  So, another nice enhancement would be the ability to name the column headers in the data logging step, for example instead of the default, have an input field so that when I pick the data to export I can put in the column header for that data point, which might be something like "Cap Position".

Brad
Active Participant
Status changed to: Under Review

Brad
Active Participant
Status changed to: In Development

In VBAI 2018, we added the ability to turn off all column headers as well as:

1. Define custom headers

2. Define which inspection results to include. We previously always included 5 columns of results that were fixed (i.e. Iteration, Date, Time, Fractional Second, and Inspection Status). Now we have all of these optional and we combined time and fractional second into a single column and added a new optional result for cycle time (i.e. elapsed time since data logging step last wrote to file to make it easier to measure cycle time).

3. Number of decimal places to log for numeric doubles.

4. Ability to append timestamp to file name to make it easy to have a unique file name each time the inspection runs and avoid over writing previous files.

5. Support for relative paths

6. Support for FTP Port number so different steps can log to different FTP servers with different ports (previously always default to port 21 and couldn't support FTP servers with multiple ports).

Hope these updates help!

Brad
Active Participant
Status changed to: Completed